Guppy fry and pregnant guppy

Siansfishes

Hello I have two questions. I recently went away on a trip for the weekend and came back to guppy fry in my tank, i had two pregnant female guppies who are still quite fat so I do not know which one gave birth, how do I tell who gave birth? My other question is what are the signs of guppies going into labour so I can seperate them?

Fishfriendkeeper

If any of them seem to have shrunk that’s probably the mom. After giving birth they can get pregnant and become big again. If all the moms look different then whoever the babies look more like is the mom.

The signs of your guppies going into labor is being lethargic, hiding, isolating itself, etc. They do this to protect them because they are vulnerable in that moment. Staying by the heater is also a common sign, but none of these are true indicators she’s in labor. If she shows these signs it might be best to put her in a Quarantine tank and hope she isn’t sick and was just in labor.

ProudPapa

. . . My other question is what are the signs of guppies going into labour so I can seperate them?

Why do you want to separate them?

HupGupp

Best policy is almost always hands off as much as possible (from long experience of first doing the opposite in nearly every way :D )

Siansfishes

Why do you want to separate them?
I would like to maybe seperate the mum so she does not stress and when giving birth I can keep the fry in a seperate tank.

emeraldking

You can put the mum separate or keep her in that same tank. That's up to you. In general, it won't stress her if you put the mum separate. it becomes more stressing to put her in a small breeding box. But if you put her separate in a larger environment, no stress will occur.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• henleyaquariums
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • Question
  • ziyi1010
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
ziyi1010