Guppy Fraternity??

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by stella1979, Apr 19, 2017.

1. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Wondering what you guys think of keeping only male guppies? I didn't find much information on it when researching stocking for our 20gL. I decided to try it and brought home five male guppies. There is also a group of cardinal tetras in the tank. Everyone gets along well except for this one guppy! He's a pretty green cobra that my son picked out and he seems to have established most of the open area in the tank as his territory. He chases all the other guppies away and the tetras give him space because he is so spastic, although I have not seen him go after them. The other 4 guppies seem friendly with each other and are trusted by the tetras too. The 4 get chased by this guy every time they cross through the open area of the tank. So, do you think it's just his personality, or is it possible that green cobras in general are more aggressive? Or, could it be, that in an all male group, one guppy will establish himself as a leader?

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

They will establish a pecking order. If one is overly aggressive you do have to watch though, he might think he doesn't want tank mates anymore. It has only happened to me once (2 male guppies, 6 females) and the males fought like crazy, had to separate them because they were doing damage.

3. Bettanewb

Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

It's just guppies in general in my experience and always best to have a back up plan when keeping all males. Over time ive had to do some rearranging of fish.

I have all male guppies and a male endler in a 20 long with cardinal tetras oddly enough. At first things went great no bullying no aggression what's so ever.

Then over night it seemed that 2 of my guppies decided to make the endler a target and chased him relentlessly to the point that I was worried he may die from stress. I took those 2 out and put them in my spare 10 gallon.

All was well for a while until my endler decided to make my tetras a target he had claimed all but one corner of the tank as his territory and the tetras would be chased if they left they're designated corner.

So a little more rearranging I busted the 2 guppies out of guppy jail (the 10 gallon) put them back in the main tank and put the endler in the 10 gallon and got him an endler friend.

Now everyone is happy but I still have to keep an eye out because there still on occasion can be a little fin nipping and chasing nothing serious what I consider normal no one is stressed out anymore. They have for the most part figured out the pecking order.

Hope that helps ;)

4. OP
    OP
    stella1979

Thank you for sharing your experience Bettanewb, sounds like we've got the same tank, lol. May I ask, how many guppies do you have? Did any remain in the 20g while the 2 bad guys were in jail? I'm watching them closely and there appears to be no actual nipping, but this guy's just a jerk :) I'm likely going to put him in my QT soon, and/or return him, but I'm wondering what the chances are that one of my nice guys will just take his place as king of the tank. I expected them to establish a pecking order like APierce said, but this one guy is just over the top.

5. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

As mentioned it is normal for people to keep all males together and in fact it is even preferred!

Many beginners for some reason believe that they need a 1:2 male to female ratio when it comes to live bearers but that is simply a myth :), this only applies when you breed guppies only.

It is normal to have a dominant male and for the males to be dueling and chasing each other. I have 2 guppies in a moderately-heavily planted 40 breeder and they still duel with each other.

Use to be a guppy breeder so ask any questions about them!

6. Bettanewb

Hey just got fun do you have cories in your tank lol

But seriously I have 4 in my main tank now and yes when I took the first 2 out the others remained in my main tank and were quite happy with one and other except the endler when he decided to target the tetras. So now it's 4 male guppies together in the main tank and all seems to be well aside from the occasional scuffle of sorts.

7. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

I had several guppies in a 10 g (before I knew what I was doing) and it was not good at all! Fishstick and Sushi harassed everyone else to death. Fishstick finished Sushi off later on even though they did appear "to be getting along". I did find a bit of a quirk with keeping male guppies; they had to constantly check and recheck and recheck some more to see if any of the other males had changed gender!

8. Al913

Having a all male guppy tank is similar to a betta sorority with less stress, usually :)

9. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I've been keeping livebearers, mostly guppies and platies since I was a little kid with my dad, so I think I'm a pretty decent source on this. A guppy fraternity is fine! I've personally found that you'd want to keep a larger, even numbered group. Depending on your tank size and how much space you have, I've found 6 to be the ideal number.

10. OP
    OP
    stella1979

Thanks guys! :) I just love Fish Lore :joyful:

Bettanewb - I wanted cories but was advised that I don't have enough exposed sand for a nice group of them. I got shrimp instead, too bad, we almost had twin tanks:D

Al913 - Thanks! I do have some questions..
    20170420_081825 (2).jpg
    Here's the bully. He's such a cute guy! His tail seems a little funny though, like the bottom got a little nipped maybe? I'm not sure about that. He came this way and other than the shape of it, his tail does not seem damaged.
    20170420_081027.jpg 20170420_081121(1).jpg
    This one was labeled as a Turqoise and he has a funny tail too. It almost looks like a lyre tail at the top, but maybe it just split some time ago? Again, it doesn't really look damaged. We've only had them a week but I think maybe he was born this way.

11. OP
    OP
    stella1979

Thanks MattS99! I would love to have 6 guppies! The tank is a 20g long with a fair bit of decor. It currently houses 8 tetras, 5 guppies, 4 RCS & 2 nerites. I plan on getting more RCS after I find some java moss to replace a fake plant or two :D Also, we've got a DG in QT :nailbiting: We plan on trying him out in this tank, but have a back up plan just in case.

If I could have it all, I'd have 10 tetras, 6 guppies, 1 DG, 8-10 RCS and 2 Nerites in this community. I have no problem doing multiple water changes a week and am a bit obsessive with testing. What do you guys think of that stocking plan? Any advice @TexasDomer

Here's a full tank shot

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  12. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

As stated the fraternity usually works out well. The reason for the 1:2 or 1:3, ratio male to female is because some males spend all their waking hours trying to breed. It gets stressful for the females, especially when they about to give birth in a day or two.

13. Bettanewb

Your tank is really pretty btw :)

14. MattS99

Sorry I'm late but I've had HORRIBLE experiences with guppies and DGs. I've had a lot of success with Honey Gouramis, though.

15. OP
    OP
    stella1979

OK, well not to stir up bad memories MattS99 , but would you please elaborate on the DG and guppy troubles? I've been advised that the DG may get aggressive with the guppies so I will be careful. As of now, with the personalities I can see so far, I'd be more worried about DG with the bully guppy o_O

16. Al913

DGs are semi-aggressive, reason why sometimes they might attack your guppies. Some DGs are more aggressive than others so just watch out. When you buy a DG from the store it is a juvenile so it won't show aggression until a week/s or month/s till it becomes mature and possibly show aggression.

17. OP
    OP
    stella1979

Thanks again Al913. :) Any thoughts on the guppy tails pictured above?

If you think you can be of any help regarding fish illnesses, I would appreciate it if you would look at my other thread, Ich Again??? . I'm kind of freaking out about my goldie today

18. Al913

Sorry, not that great with the illness part of the hobby :)

The tail does look nip :(, but normally occasional nipping is not harmful, it becomes harmful when you have 1/3 of the fin gone in which the guppy start to have problem swimming. When I kept guppies in which I had a all male tank, I did get nipping. If the nipping gets bad your gonna want to remove the nipper.

19. MattS99

I've had a DG scare guppies so bad that they'd hide and sadly starve to death. I once had a DG that I LOVED called Steve. I put him in a community and watched him literally shred them. Safe to say I didn't love Steve anymore and he went to my uncle.

20. OP
    OP
    stella1979

OK guppy lovers, I'm having some problems. I started another thread about a bloated guppy, who seemed fine for several days, just very fat. Then, fat guy got lethargic and he died a day later. :(

Now, one of my other guys is acting lethargic but he does not have a swollen belly like his brother did. Water parameters are normal for me at 0-0-30 (tap nitrates, switching to remineralized RO).

My QT is being used for the DG and I have nowhere else to put this guy. Wouldn't want to keep him in a bucket for more than a little while. I'm considering taking ALL the guppies out today, put them in a bucket, and feed them kanamycin flakes to get an antibiotic in them. Do you guys think that would be a good idea?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice