Status
Not open for further replies.

Pwilly07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello,

Wanted to see about my guppies and make sure they don't have fin rot. I've seen some change in tail fins since getting them so I wanted advice on what people may think is going on. I have had fin rot before over a year ago in my 10 gallon with another fish I successfully cured. Guppies, I am less sure about. 60% water change weekly, pH 6.8 temp 76, nitrate 20-40ppm, ammonia 0, nitrite 0. It is a heavily planted tank with fertilizers and CO2. I also have corys, shrimp, and kuhli loaches among other fish. Am I worried about nothing? If they do have it, what should I treat with? Thanks

20190207_230923.jpg
20190207_231017.jpg
20190207_231244.jpg
20190207_231258.jpg

NickAu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I wont comment on the fins as I cant see the damage clearly enough, ( small PC screen.)

However.
A ph of 6.8 with guppies? Guppies are hard water fish and suffer in soft water.

OP
Pwilly07

Pwilly07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wont comment on the fins as I cant see the damage clearly enough, ( small PC screen.)

However.
A ph of 6.8 with guppies? Guppies are hard water fish and suffer in soft water.
If it is fin rot, what would you treat with? The ph of 6.8 is what it drops to with CO2. When CO2 is off pH rises slowly to 7.4. My gH is normally 10-12. That's should be hard enough and I add equilibrium after water changes.

OP
Pwilly07

Pwilly07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thats a huge swing and is not good for the fish.

Fin rot is the direct result of poor tank conditions, Damaged fins are not a problem as long as the water is clean.
You have pH swings in planted tanks with CO2. I am really confused then because many people aim for the full point ph drop with CO2 in their tanks. How do you use CO2 and not have a pH swing? GH of 8-12 I'd good for guppies and I'm in that range.
Do you have any suggestions about my question for what you would use for fin rot?
Thanks!

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree PH swings are not good, but in this case it may just be fighting ….. male guppies tales get this way when they spar... Nothing needs to be done really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom