Guppy female gave birth 3 days ago... looks like she is ready to go again?!

TacomaToker

My female guppy was looking huge and entering labor so I moved her into a little tank to give birth. She gave birth to about 20-25 fry (her first time), and I removed her as soon as she started eating them. Her gravid patch was entirely gone and she looked much less bloated, but still definitely looked big. I let her rest for a 2 days in a tank alone, and then I moved her back into the guppy tank yesterday. When moving her back, I noticed she once again had a huge black gravid spot, and she is looking really huge. Is it possible she is going to give birth again, 3 days later? I need to reiterate that the gravid patch was completely gone after birth, but now its back, spotted (just like before giving birth last time), and large. Thanks for any advice!!

RayClem

Guppies can give birth to a new litter every 3-4 weeks. They are also capable of storing sperm in their bodies, so they do not necessarily need a male present to start the next litter. Thus, as soon as they deliver one batch of young, they can start developing the next batch. Be expecting some more in a few weeks.

TacomaToker

RayClem said:
Guppies can give birth to a new litter every 3-4 weeks. They are also capable of storing sperm in their bodies, so they do not necessarily need a male present to start the next litter. Thus, as soon as they deliver one batch of young, they can start developing the next batch. Be expecting some more in a few weeks.
cool thanks. I just can’t believe how quickly she developed a new gravid spot! She had no male contact so it was definitely stored!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom