Guppy Eggs!?!?

MelloYello

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
YAY she gave birth... but to eggs... Help I'm confused. She has also had 2 babies that are alive... one of em most definitely won't survive.

GlamCrab

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
i think livebearers simply keep eggs Inside them until they hatch.. SOOO what you are seeing is extreme premature birth

MelloYello

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Guppies are livebearers so them having eggs isn't going to happen.. is there anything with her? (Sorry, i can't see the picture)
Nope shes in one of those floating breeder boxes... I know they give live young thats why I am so confused... plus they dont match the description of any other fishes eggs in my tank... the rest either have white floating eggs (not sinking) or red eggs (sinking, and sticking) None of those egg descriptions fit the eggs I see here.

KaderTheAnt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've honestly never seen this before. And I believe you can feed them crushed pellets/flakes from the start (correct me if I'm wrong)

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
She might have aborted her fry (hence the eggs). Guppies can do this when stressed, and breeder boxes can be very stressful to them, so it makes sense.

AWheeler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Nope...not that I can see at least. So there were plenty of eggs that were not fertilized, doesn't look like it was from aborting them. She isn't acting sick at all?

MelloYello

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nope...not that I can see at least. So there were plenty of eggs that were not fertilized, doesn't look like it was from aborting them. She isn't acting sick at all?
She looks great... She is trying furiously to go through the greating and get the eggs that she layed and the babies (so she can eat em I guess) but other than that she looks fine...

** Her gravid spot was darker before I left today but other than that she is the same color she always is (VERY PALE)

AWheeler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Her tail fin is a little torn, her gills are a little red and the front fins are a little pinkish as well...is this normal for her (the redness)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom