Guppy Eggs!?!?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by MelloYello, Apr 18, 2017.

1. MelloYello

MelloYello Valued Member Member

2. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

Guppies are livebearers so them having eggs isn't going to happen.. is there anything with her? (Sorry, i can't see the picture)

3. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

i think livebearers simply keep eggs Inside them until they hatch.. SOOO what you are seeing is extreme premature birth

4. OP
    OP
    MelloYello

Nope shes in one of those floating breeder boxes... I know they give live young thats why I am so confused... plus they dont match the description of any other fishes eggs in my tank... the rest either have white floating eggs (not sinking) or red eggs (sinking, and sticking) None of those egg descriptions fit the eggs I see here.

5. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Guppies will lay eggs that are not fertilized...or that don't make it.

6. KaderTheAnt

Then yes, extremely premature birth. Is she acting strange or anything?

7. OP
    OP
    MelloYello

Ah... How do I feed the small fish. I have tubifex worms and I have blood worms and I have micro-organisms.. they are really small.

8. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

i dont know.. i have never personally dealt with that problem..

9. OP
    OP
    MelloYello

Nope, not behaving differently, still hungry and begging for food 24/7

10. KaderTheAnt

I've honestly never seen this before. And I believe you can feed them crushed pellets/flakes from the start (correct me if I'm wrong)

11. APierce

grind up flake food very finely and feed it to the fry...or get some "first bites"

12. OP
    OP
    MelloYello

Awesome thank you!

13. APierce

Out of curiosity, do the fry still have their yolk sacks?

14. OP
    OP
    MelloYello

Erm um I can upload another pic, but I fear I dont know what I would be looking for....

15. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

She might have aborted her fry (hence the eggs). Guppies can do this when stressed, and breeder boxes can be very stressful to them, so it makes sense.

16. OP
    OP
    MelloYello

17. OP
    OP
    MelloYello

Ah I guess I can avoid that by getting some duckweed in my quarantine tank and just put pregnant females in there when they are ready

18. APierce

Nope...not that I can see at least. So there were plenty of eggs that were not fertilized, doesn't look like it was from aborting them. She isn't acting sick at all?

19. OP
    OP
    MelloYello

She looks great... She is trying furiously to go through the greating and get the eggs that she layed and the babies (so she can eat em I guess) but other than that she looks fine...
    ** Her gravid spot was darker before I left today but other than that she is the same color she always is (VERY PALE)

20. APierce

Her tail fin is a little torn, her gills are a little red and the front fins are a little pinkish as well...is this normal for her (the redness)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice