Guppy dying?

1. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

I think my guppy is dying. I have 5 red blonde 'male' guppies. Once I got home from my LFS something just didn't seem right. He seemed to be sitting at the top of the bag and not moving, just breathing.
    After acclimation I kept a close eye on him, he was swimming around but not half as much as the others were. Still seemed to be floating/staying at the very top, at the surface, near the corner of the tank and not lively at all.

When I checked on him before, around 4 and a half hours later. He seemed so lifeless, I thought he was dead. He started to float on his side and went with the flow of the water from the filter.
    Then all of a sudden he started to swim erratically over to the other side of the tank, then once again started to float on his side.

Do you think it's just a matter of time before he dies completely?
    When I first googled it it mentioned pregnancy and perhaps it was a female in labour?

Need urgent advice :(

2. Wildside Member Member

I'm sorry to hear about the bad news.

Normally you can easily tell male guppies from females. Females are much bigger than the males. So I doubt its pregnancy, in my experience it's over in a matter of hours and you won't see it unless you're lucky and/or have them in isolation.

I hope he gets better.

3. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

Thank you, I was wondering if it's possibly swim bladder probs and he's just exhausted or stressed out from the move?

4. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

Could be any number of reason, really. Could be that he was sick at the store but you just didn't notice. A lot of the time my LFS catches these sick ones when I stock because they're for obvious reasons slower and easier to catch. Haha! Could be stress, or ongoing stress from the store tanks. Could even be something as like the bag was handled rough, or if it was set down the fish got stuck in a corner. There's any number of reasons this happens. It just does every now and again.

They either bounce back, or die by the next morning in my experience.

5. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

Aww well I hope he makes it! :( I have a feeling it is just stressed and exhausted, maybe just a lot weaker than his tank mates. When I purchased them, there was only 5 in the tank. They did have a multi buy offer for 4 guppies for £10 but I couldn't leave just one in the tank on his own after taking his friends (how sad am I?!) hahaha.
    Still gutted because he's a beautiful fish.

6. s hawk Well Known Member Member

I had a guppy but with the orange variation. Don't know color differences between UK and US. Had same problem, still don't know what was wrong. Ended up euthanizing him.