Guppy Don’t Look Pregnant

JaniceSnail

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Everyone says a female guppy gets real big when getting ready to give birth. Well I found 2 babies in the tank and my female guppies did not look big at all. In fact did not look pregnant. So makes me wonder if anyone can really say they know when a guppy is pregnant if her belly is not big.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JaniceSnail said:
Everyone says a female guppy gets real big when getting ready to give birth. Well I found 2 babies in the tank and my female guppies did not look big at all. In fact did not look pregnant. So makes me wonder if anyone can really say they know when a guppy is pregnant if her belly is not big.
Guppys can carry loads of eggs or just a few. When they are carrying loads, its much easier to tell because they do get huge. Also, the more times they get pregnant, the bigger they get each time (depending on the variety of guppy). Some types of guppys carry fewer, larger fry.

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppies don't have to become big in order to be pregnant. From time to time females will drop fry while they are having a subtle belly. But yes, there will be just a few fry in such a case.

New Threads