Guppy Discharging Strange Stuff. What Is It?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Vancouver Mike, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Vancouver MikeValued MemberMember

Guppy had babies 10 days ago.
    Guppy had a white thick discharge under her yesterday and I guess it fell off.
    She is active and gets excited for food..but won't eat the food.
    Today she has more white thick discharge and some has come off but it looks terrible and no time normal fish waste. Pics below.

Any idea?
    Thx

Attached Files:

2. goldfishexpertNew MemberMember

Vancouver Mike it could possibly be of old age. Guppies only live 1-3 years

Or parasites, how long have you had them for?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2019
  3. Vancouver MikeValued MemberMember

She has only been with us a month or so. Ya I'm hoping my other Guppies don't get sick or catch whatever it is that Cleo has

4. Ankur's fishesNew MemberMember

A parasitic

5. goldfishexpertNew MemberMember

6. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Look at a prolapse, this looks more like a prolapse to me. You wouldn't see parasites coming out unless it was callamanus worms, and those are red. Otherwise, internal parasites make fish look skinny and have empty or white poop

7. Vancouver MikeValued MemberMember

We thought it may be a pro lapse as well but so long after she gave birth I just didn't think it was. Not like I have a clue tho, I just thought that and figured it's best to put this out into Fishlore for help. Thanks for the info

8. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Fish can prolapse intestines basically anytime, unfortunately. It's not my area of expertise though, hope it turns out well

9. Vancouver MikeValued MemberMember

I Actually already have some of this kind of meds so your thinking it's a parasite? Is it to late to separate this Guppy or should I medicate all the fish now ?

10. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

11. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Melafix is for bacterial infections, not sure why it was recommended for parasites. However, if you already have it, I would separate and treat with this, as I do think it's a prolapse. Prognosis isn't too good for that, but melafix can help prevent bacterial infections, which is useful for prolapses. Do you think you could fast her for 2-3 days?

12. Vancouver MikeValued MemberMember

Is General cure available in Canada?

13. goldfishexpertNew MemberMember

Yes it is, it might be a prolapse or parasitses