Guppy Died Within First Week, Need To Make Sure It Doesnt Happen Again

1. SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Dear All,

I am a newbie in this domain, I built a 3feet tank and put the fish on last thursday 5th April 2018. Its a mix of Edler Guppies, Albino Guppies & Neon Tetra. This morning one of the Female Guppies died, and I felt devastated...Sorry I am very emotional when it comes to a pet dying..had put in lot of effort to make sure it doesnt happen, but it did happen. below are few points that I think might have caused it. Could someone please help me here, I dont want more to die:

1 - I was advised by the Aquarium shop guy to have a week old water which contains bacteria and then put the fish in it. I did not do that due to the huge size of the tank & used only ONE day old water.

2 - Overfeeding - last night I felt they were too hungry and excited to see the food, so dropped almost 5 pinches of food (fish is around 90 in number)

3 - Male to Female Ratio - I see more male guppies than female guppies in the tank, not sure about the exact number as counting is tough

SOrry for the long post, your help is appreciated.

2. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

Did you cycle tank? How much fish did you put at once? Did you test your water?

3. dwarfpufferlover

dwarfpufferlover Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore, going by the information you have in this thread there is various problems here.
    Please help yourself out and read about the nitrogen cycle to begin. This will help give you an understanding of any help you receive here.
    Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

4. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Yes I did go thru this. Unfortunately I dont have the Nitrite/ammonia tester for my tank. ALthough I have sea plants (Live) in the tank

5. appcontrol

If you dump too much fish at once, plus too much food it's probably ammonia spike. But without more informations no one can be sure. You could try to go for prime + stability + everyday partial water change. But best would be if you go and buy ammonia test.

6. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Here are the details - 4th April I filled the tank with tap water, left it as is for 24 hours. Filled the tank with fish on the 5th April, had a partial water change on 8th April. it was a 70-30% ratio, 30% being the old water.

Here are the details - 4th April I filled the tank with tap water, left it as is for 24 hours. Filled the tank with fish on the 5th April (25nos), had a partial water change on 8th April. it was a 70-30% ratio(added 50 more fish), 30% being the old water.

7. appcontrol

First that's not cycled tank. Please go and check how properly to do nitrogen cycle.
    Second you will probably lose more fish.
    Third if you can give back at least part of fishes to pet store do it.

Now you need to buy prime, stability and ammonia etc. tests, then use prime and stability everyday with partial water changes.

Best would be to give them all fish back, and start cycling and then after minimum of three weeks start adding fishes 3-4 every 5-7 days, depending on theyr size.

8. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

thanks for your help. if i borr0w some gravel from a used tank, will that help? trying to get Prime etc that you mentioned...might be a struggle to get it here in India

9. appcontrol

Gravel have small amounts of bacteria. Try to get some used filter media and don't let it dry. Thats the best thing you can do now. I don't know alternative for prime, wait someone else to answer that.

10. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

I actually got Prime, it might take 2 days to reach me though

11. appcontrol

That's fine, get gravel, get some used filter media and do partial water change every day. You should be good to go very fast. Just don't be surprised if you lose more fishes.

12. InsanityShard

InsanityShard Well Known Member Member

90 Fish in a 3 foot tank is way too much! My 60g has never had more than 35 guppies, and that was pushing it! You need to return a fair few of them... Also, guppies need a 3-1 female to male ratio or the males can fight to death/mate with the females until they die of exaustion.

13. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

When you say partial water change, how much percentage of fresh water I should be changing?

God Forbid anymore of them dies..I will do everything possible to save them :(

let me put it this way, 90 fish in a 45 gallon tank. A LOT of people are suggesting me otherwise, that i still have room for more...is my understanding correct?

14. Wystearya

Wystearya Valued Member Member

Do you have any dechlorinator? I know you said that the Prime is on it's way. But chlorine in the water will kill fish. Do you have anything at all for that?

15. appcontrol

If you really have 90 fish they will definitely die give them back to store. I don't know like 30-50% should be good. depending on your water parameters

16. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Unfortunately no. shold I buy the one you listed? i see it available in my country, however its not mentioend how to use it

17. appcontrol

I have 22 gallons and my max would be around 20 fishes by that logic your max would be 40-50 depending on how aquarium is scaped, how many plants, and what kind of fish you have, that number can go up and down. and keep in mind guppies make babys like crazy if you have 5 in six months you will have 60

Dechlorinator is must have!!!!!!!!

18. InsanityShard

InsanityShard Well Known Member Member

It's too many, you don't have room for more. They grow, they like their own space sometimes, and the 1 inch per gallon rule is ridiculous that doesn't mean that it's less- it's almost always more. You need to know that the bacteria can only handle so much ammonia, and the pet stores information is usually unreliable. I already know the hard way what my bioload is on my tank. You will lose more fish and the tank cannot cycle until you remove at least 30, and you'll still need to remove more after that.

19. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Getting back to the store would be a pain, i bought them from a place which is 70miles away. Anyways, let me do whatever best I can. let me get dechlorinator & Prime. I assume this can be put into the water while the fish is there?

20. appcontrol

Before then you put water in fish tank

And i
    Agree with colleague you can give them back or lose half or more of them by ammonia and chlor