40 Gallon Tank Guppy died what should i do now?

Samantha1801

I had a tequila sunrise Delta guppy. I had bought 3 originally to add to my tank of German Blue Rams as they were a recommended tank mate for them. 2 died within a day of having them about 2 months ago. The 1 remaining was doing so well until one of my gbr got territorial of one side of the tank due to him and the other fighting after discovering both were male. After the one became aggressive he will chase anything from that area of the tank he has deemed his. But I never really seen him nip at the guppy but just run him off to the other side again. I came home from work and after relaxing for a few I went to feed my fish and seen the guppy laying on a fake plant dead with his back fins looking shredded on the ends and his pectoral Fins sticking straight out and mouth wide open. I inspected him further and seen nothing that looked like an illness. I checked over the other fish and they seem fin physically as well. I don't understand why he died suddenly when he was okay this morning and afternoon. Should I do a water change now that he has been removed from the tank? Or anything else I should do?

PeterFishKeepin

sorry for your lose, guppys and livebearers like to be in groups so 1 guppy isnt a good idea. I would reccomend a 25% water change or more just to be safe. Sometimes when a single fish is getting bullied the amount of stress can build up before diseases and inflections like ich can develop that may be why you haven't noticed any signs of being sick, it could also be an internal pariste pehaps?

Samantha1801

sorry for your lose, guppys and livebearers like to be in groups so 1 guppy isnt a good idea. I would reccomend a 25% water change or more just to be safe. Sometimes when a single fish is getting bullied the amount of stress can build up before diseases and inflections like ich can develop that may be why you haven't noticed any signs of being sick, it could also be an internal pariste pehaps?
Hes not the only one who would get chased away. He chases everyone from the area really. Even my cory catfish. I also didn't notice anything like bloat or white poop that would suggest an internal parasite. My rams are a little big in the belly but I was mistakenly feeding too much because someone insisted to me that flakes were not enough when I was out of their frozen shrimp. So I skipped feeding for a day or two then put them back on the regular diet and amount they originally would get

emeraldking

Well, rams are not that aggressive in general. But they can become territorial... Once that happens, every fish that crosses that area, can get bullied for that reason. And not all fish can withstand the stress it causes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Soorahk
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
HupGupp
  • AGuppylover
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
emeraldking