Guppy Deaths

Salmarcus

I have a new aquarium that is fully cycled. It had 1 male guppy, who rode through the cycling. I purchased 2 more Male and 4 female guppies.
After a week I lost one of the female. The rest appeared fine. Today just a few days later I lost all 3 males for no known reason.
All water parameters are fine.
Ph= 6.8 Ammonia =0 Nitrite =0 and Nitrate =5ppm.
They were fed daily.
I am at a total loss. Any help is appreciated.

BigManAquatics

I think guppies like a little higher pH and a little harder water than some fish. Not sure on that.

Upvote 0

Corylover123

Yeah guppies live in brackish and saltwater and freshwater around trinidad and venesuela and need hard water with a ph over 7 7.5 ph and high hardness is best for em

Upvote 0

GuppyGal7

I think guppies like a little higher pH and a little harder water than some fish. Not sure on that.
They do better with hard water but I think there's something else at play here. 6.8 is pretty much neutral. Guppies should not die from it unless they were bred in very hard or brackish water.

Did they show any symptoms or odd behaviours before their deaths. I don't think a disease or parasite could kill so quickly... But still, any odd symptoms you can think of?

Upvote 0

Salmarcus

I saw no odd behavior. They acted and were eating normally

Upvote 0

Corylover123

They do better with hard water but I think there's something else at play here. 6.8 is pretty much neutral. Guppies should not die from it unless they were bred in very hard or brackish water.

Did they show any symptoms or odd behaviours before their deaths. I don't think a disease or parasite could kill so quickly... But still, any odd symptoms you can think of?
nobody breeds guppies in brackish it’s mostly the wild ones that are brackish. They can go salt brackish and fresh and do well in it, my friend has guppies and mollies in his reef tank as a joke

Upvote 0

GuppyGal7

nobody breeds guppies in brackish it’s mostly the wild ones that are brackish. They can go salt brackish and fresh and do well in it, my friend has guppies and mollies in his reef tank as a joke
No, it's very common for wholesalers to breed livebearers in brackish water in places where clean freshwater is expensive.
I saw no odd behavior. They acted and were eating normally
Sorry this is an underwhelming guess, but it could just be weak fish. Livebearers are very overbred, so some strains will have very weak immune systems. That combined with the stress of moving from the pet store to your tank can push them over the edge. I'd just monitor the remaining guppies. If they last the next few weeks, get a few more, preferably from a different supplier. Good luck!

Upvote 0

wintryfish

You may have just gotten some unlucky fish, but I agree that it might have been that the fish were originally bred in brackish water. If your water is perfect, there's really nothing you can do about that except try again.

Upvote 0

Salmarcus

Thanks for all your input. I believe it probably is just a bad group of fish. I've since put others into the tank and they seem to be thriving.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • AntuyON
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Unkown cause of death
  • FairyCarebear
  • Guppy