Guppy death?

So my guppy died but I don’t know why. He started getting the shimmies so I quickly set up a quarantine tank. I changed the water twice a day since it was not cycled.

I added nitrifying bacteria from a bottle and got a new sponge filter running on it. I placed a small internal filter and got some biological media from my tank just to help the cycling.
(New to hobby and never made a hospital tank before so I panicked)

after 3 days in the hospital tank he developed 2 small holes on his tail and what looked like a start of fin rot.
I tried to use some aquarium salt and tetra general cure. I live in a small town and the pet store only had those 2 things.
He seemed to hangout on the top and stay in one place. He also ate only a little.

I just want to know if anyone has any ideas what he had so in the future I can do something new. Or let me know if made mistakes in setting up the hospital tank.

was he just sick when I got him? I don’t think there was anything wrong with the water in my main tank since my endlers and Amano shrimp are all doing fine.

I heard from other people that guppies that were from breeders are genetically weak and more prone to getting ill due to in breeding

Solution
I imagine something was festering in that fish before you purchased. Really, buying fish can be quite the roll of the dice. I typically spend awhile watching the fish before i buy. Might not always work out the way you want, but at least you might give yourself a chance. Always remember, it is OK to be picky when fish shopping!
Thanks for the tip! I’ll actually start taking my time when picking fish, although not too much time because my lfs limits the number of people in the fishroom due to covid.
Hobbyist breeders usually your better bet, due to better living condutiins, etc. Fish farms that supply stores, the fish tend to have a lot of food competitiin, much higher chance at things loke internal parasites and then shipping to the store, then of course travel to your tank as well. All things than cause a good amoint of stress, so yeah, it may have been sick when you got it. How long you had the fish?

Hobbyist breeders usually your better bet, due to better living condutiins, etc. Fish farms that supply stores, the fish tend to have a lot of food competitiin, much higher chance at things loke internal parasites and then shipping to the store, then of course travel to your tank as well. All things than cause a good amoint of stress, so yeah, it may have been sick when you got it. How long you had the fish?
I had him for 1 week

I had him for 1 week
I imagine something was festering in that fish before you purchased. Really, buying fish can be quite the roll of the dice. I typically spend awhile watching the fish before i buy. Might not always work out the way you want, but at least you might give yourself a chance. Always remember, it is OK to be picky when fish shopping!

A lot of people just don't realize that a fish that will be bought at an lfs, had already quite a journey. And at every post, they went into other type of water (that is other water parameters) → Fish farm → wholesaler → lfs → customer. That causes a certain kind of stress to those fish. And don't forget the travel periods in between.

Thanks for the tip! I’ll actually start taking my time when picking fish, although not too much time because my lfs limits the number of people in the fishroom due to covid.

Solution
Top Bottom