Guppy Death?

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What am I doing wrong? Every single guppy that I have ever gotta has died. My longest one was a month if that. They all live about 2-3 days for me. The just sit at the top of the tank, inactive. The first day they would eat a little, but after that it slows down. I always put them in my 10 gallon. I have 3 tanks. 5, 10 and 20 gallon, and all the parameters are good except for my 20 gallon that get a small amount of ammonia. All of my other fish are great. My female Betta is in the ten gallon now and she is all over the tank having a blast. No signs of stress or illness other than a puffy tummy. Not sure if that's normal or not. Will be posting another thread about that later. But GUPPIES...what am I doing wrong. Parameter in that tank is 0 ammonia some days, .25-.50 others. 0 nitrite, and between 5-2p nitrates some days. Ph 7.6 and temp about 76-79. I use prime and do water changes of the ammonia gets really high. Like I said only my fancy rail guppies die. Every other fish is perfectly fine...

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very odd! I would keep them at 74 degrees, but I wouldn't think that would be enough of an explanation. Are you getting them all from the same place?

I myself gave up on fancy guppies some 40 years ago. I only do Endlers and other tough wild types. They're still colorful but swim well without the silly ball gown tails, and they're not too inbred for the most part.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
endlercollector said:
Very odd! I would keep them at 74 degrees, but I wouldn't think that would be enough of an explanation. Are you getting them all from the same place?

I myself gave up on fancy guppies some 40 years ago. I only do Endlers and other tough wild types. They're still colorful but swim well without the silly ball gown tails, and they're not too inbred for the most part.
My heaters don't let me change them. They are automatically set. My fish store doesn't sell endlers sadly. Yes I have been getting them from the same place, but it happened when I got a couple from one a few miles from me as well. I love the different colors and the way their tails look. I wanted to breed them, but they just die, so do the babies...i don't even want to risk buying online, because it's too expensive and i would be scared they would die too.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Emuhlee said:
My heaters don't let me change them. They are automatically set. My fish store doesn't sell endlers sadly. Yes I have been getting them from the same place, but it happened when I got a couple from one a few miles from me as well. I love the different colors and the way their tails look. I wanted to breed them, but they just die, so do the babies...i don't even want to risk buying online, because it's too expensive and i would be scared they would die too.
That's really too bad. Well, if you take a break from buying fish at the LFS, maybe you can save up some money to get some Endlers on line. It's worth the money to get some healthy fish as you only need a trio, and you'll have hundreds of fish in a year or two

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
endlercollector said:
That's really too bad. Well, if you take a break from buying fish at the LFS, maybe you can save up some money to get some Endlers on line. It's worth the money to get some healthy fish as you only need a trio, and you'll have hundreds of fish in a year or two
Yeah I guess so haha.

BRDrew

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What about the flow? Is there enough surface movement to disolve oxigen in the water? Low oxigenation can lead to death similar to what you describe.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BRDrew said:
What about the flow? Is there enough surface movement to disolve oxigen in the water? Low oxigenation can lead to death similar to what you describe.
Yes the water is low enough, so there is plenty from the filter.

BRDrew said:
My other live bearers are in a five gallon with almost no surface movement and have been for over a month and are fine!

BRDrew

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you have anything else in the tank? Maybe something is contaminating the water.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BRDrew said:
Do you have anything else in the tank? Maybe something is contaminating the water.
I don't think so, my other fish are fine. I've only ever had guppies die. Other than a pleco I had, but he only died because my ammonia got out of hand.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Guppies are at the point of being so inbred, they aren’t as hardy as before.

I would use other livebearers that you have had success with.

If you like the way that guppies look, some similar looking fish are mosquito fish, endlers, and bettas(some people disagree, but they look similar to me)

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
75g Discus Tank said:
Guppies are at the point of being so inbred, they aren’t as hardy as before.

I would use other livebearers that you have had success with.

If you like the way that guppies look, some similar looking fish are mosquito fish, endlers, and bettas(some people disagree, but they look similar to me)
I'll have to take a look at a different pet store to see if they have those fish. The one 30 miles from me separate their guppies. Maybe they are better.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom