Guppy Death Help

1. kelseymarie269 Initiate Member

Hi everyone,

I received a shipment of 1 male and 3 female guppies from a very reputable fish breeder last Thursday (July 6th). All seemed well with them and none really seemed worse for the wear. They were placed in a cycled tank with 4 corys that were also in quarantine. One female gave birth on Friday night (July 7th) to two fry. This was a bit surprising since I'd just received them but I went out and bought a breeder box and continued on with my fish keeping. Another female gave birth Monday (July 11th) to a considerable batch of fry (between 15-20). Today I found one of those females (not sure which since they both have the same coloration) dead at the bottom of the tank. She hasn't been acting weird and didn't seem sick or lethargic so the death seems strange unless it was stress that finally settled in. My tank is all within normal parameters. (Between 0-0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, about 20 nitrate). I took some photos of her before disposing of her and it seems like they may have been come abnormalities. I'll include those in my post. I've highlighted a few areas that I feel are concerning. Does anyone have any idea if this could've contributed to her death and does it look like a parasite/disease? I'm very nervous about my corys and remaining guppies now thinking that she may have had something spreadable. Any ideas? I've e-mailed the breeder but I thought having additional opinions may help immensely. I'm relatively new to the fish keeping hobby and all of this parasite and disease stuff is confusing! :emoji_confounded:

Attached Files:

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Females often die after they give birth, but yours are young so that shouldn't happen

3. kelseymarie269 Initiate Member

Thanks for the reply @goplecos That was my thought as well. I've read that they can die after giving birth but most are older guppies. Breeder seems to think it was stress.

4. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

That's very likely. Moving live-bearers often triggers early fry delivery. It's stressful even when they haven't been moved to a new tank.

5. kelseymarie269 Initiate Member

I didn't know that it could cause early delivery. Thanks for that info. I'm new to guppies so any information like this is helpful.

I've now noticed another one of the females seems to have developed a case of fin rot. Possibly from shipment also? Any advice on how to treat it?

6. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Premature births are extremely common when you move them. I've had a lot of fish drop fry within 24hrs of bringing them home. Sometimes I move a fish to a maternity tank and they drop fry almost immediately. It's not a good thing to make them drop fry early.

For fin rot the most gentle method is clean water. I also do salt baths with good results on guppies. Just ask if you have more questions but the short version is put the guppy in a container of one gallon or less. I generally put about three quarts of water and a heaping tablespoon of salt for about an hour per day for at least a few days. Salt is not a Med, it is an irritant. It stimulates slime coat production quickly which is a fishes best natural defense against infection. I've had some miracle live-bearer recoveries with simple salt treatments. You can Med the tank as well but I still pull the affected fish a few times for baths. You don't need official aquarium salt. Any salt that has no additives is just sodium chloride. Canning salt, pickling salt, rock salt, non-iodized table salt etc. Use a bit less salt if it is finely ground. No need to be precise. Hope this helped.

7. kelseymarie269 Initiate Member

Thanks! I'll try that. I'm glad to know that I can separate the fish out and not have to run it through the entire aquarium/filter since I have corys and I know they can be sensitive to salt.

8. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Bottom dwellers definitely complicate treating a community tank. I generally keep a gentle broad spectrum Med handy like Seachem Paraguard, and use salt baths for the fish that can tolerate it because it works pretty often for some common problems. You can bath the sick fish daily, and they can spend the rest of the time in community with Meds if you don't have a QT tank, or need to treat the community tank anyway.

9. kelseymarie269 Initiate Member

I never would've have thought to do that. I might just go ahead and treat the tank with Paraguard just in case these fish did bring some kind of parasite into the aquarium and then treat the fin rot guppy separately with the salt bath. I generally don't like treating with any meds unless I know for sure something is going on but I couldn't bear to lose one of my remaining guppies or my corys.

10. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Hopefully I can say this without sounding too dramatic. :) I completely get it that Medding for no reason has ramificatons. Here is the difference if I can humanize it some. I have a bad back. I can take nothing or just ibuprofen 99% of the time. Once every few years I have the ability to communicate to a Doc I need something much stronger for a week. Here in the real world a large percentage of pet store stock carry disease. I hate it but it is reality. Your guppy or cory can't tell you his stomach hurts because you just introduced him to a new fish with internal parasites or a bacterial infection. He'll just get sick over the course of a week or two while a new fish keeper surfs the internet trying to play unqualified veterinarian. Every new fish that hits my QT tank sees one dose of Paraguard because it is not an antibiotic and handles the easy and common stuff. Then I watch and do nothing if no further treatment is warranted. My fish used to die, and now I go many months without a single death and I have ten tanks. Many Pros do the same as I do. I didn't invent this. After you get burned six or ten times it will sound more rational. One seemingly healthy fish can put the entire community in danger.