Guppy Cycling

1. Marco Rodriguez

Marco Rodriguez Well Known Member Member

Hi! For everyone who was on my last thread. We decided screw the 5 and got a 10g. My sister is so happy with it. We were just wondering if we can cycle it with Guppies. Of course we won't add them for a few days or anything but we were just hoping Guppies r possible. If not I have LF Zebra Danios I could put in there temporarily but I would like to avoid stressing out my Zebras :) thanks.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Are you planning on keeping the guppies? If so, 2 male guppies should be fine to cycle with.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

In a 10 gallon, 2-3 is a good amount.

4. Grimgore

Grimgore New Member Member

I used a guppy and a swordtail .. that super swordtail is named Justin.. Justin case he died.. he has helpped cycle 3 tanks .. was a good choice in hindsight .. good luck

5. OP
    OP
    Marco Rodriguez

Awesome. What should I wait for ammonia to b at b4 I add the Guppies. We just set up the tank this morning Ammonia is still at like 0.5ppm

6. el337

What's been your ammonia source that's causing the 0.5ppm reading? Maybe I misunderstood your initial question - I thought you were using the guppies as your ammonia source to cycle the tank.

7. OP
    OP
    Marco Rodriguez

Haha that's just straight off the bat tap water. We filled the tank w/ tap water and I got a reading of .5ppm maybe half an hour later. I added prime after

8. el337

I don't think it makes any difference waiting to add the guppies. As long as you have Prime to detox the ammonia, they should be protected during cycling.