Guppy Curved Spine

JamesA1

Reaction score
Hi all.

Had 6 dragon tail guppies about a month (all male) - I've noticed one guppy has a curved back, didn't eat this morning and been swimming down the bottom of the tank looking very stressed. I'm very much assuming this isn't good, and having a quick research perhaps fish TB? - which is obviously very contagious?

Any help? I'll attach some pictures now.
1586354738632.png
1586354755541.png

Thanks in advance.

OP
J

JamesA1

Reaction score
I don't have a spare tank, any other way I can separate him?

I've only noticed it this morning when I went to feed the fish. Now he's occasionally swimming to the top of the tank and spiralling downwards.

I've just tested the water and:

ph - 7.6
hardness is all fine
Nitrate 25
Nitrite 0
Also no ammonia.

I conducted a 25% water change yesterday, and before every water change (weekly) I let the water sit with dechlorinator in overnight.

It's a 36l tank, just 6 guppies in it.

Thanks very much for the reply.

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
See if you can find a Tupperware container to put him in, ideally floated inside your current tank so the temperature stays the same. I will tell you now, I highly doubt the problematic guppy will survive, but he should at least be out of the way of others if it is contagious.

Fish TB is absolutely a concern. Don't introduce any new fish to this tank any time soon. Definitely keep an eye on the other guppies, and do some large water changes (50% or more once a day for a few days) for good measure. Be careful not to get any tank water on any open cuts on your arms/hands - if it is TB, some strains are transmissible to humans, and you're better off safe than sorry. Unfortunately, there is no current treatment for fish TB, so there is not much you can do for the affected fish.

OP
J

JamesA1

Reaction score
I'll conduct a large water change and add some sea salt to the water.

Appreciate all the help!

Thanks.

New Threads