Guppy compatibility?

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've got a 5 gallon tank with a male guppy & 6 RCS. Unfortunately, I was out buying supplies with my 5 yr old daughter in early April at Petsmart and she talked me into purchasing the guppy since the 5 gallon had nothing in it, but was cycled. There sticker said 5+ gallons for guppies, but I've since learned that's incorrect!

I have a 10 gallon with 7 zebra danios and a 29 gallon with 8 buenos aires tetras, 8 Cochu's blue tetras and an albino bristlenose pleco. Can I put the guppy into one of these tanks? Should I leave him in the 5 gallon? Or should I find someone who could give him a proper home, and make my daughter cry? :nopity:

Thanks
Keith

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
According to

you can't keep guppy in the 29 gallon. On the contrary, it is possible in the 10 gallon as shown:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think he'd be fine in either one, although the zebras might get nippy with him in the 10.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think 2-3 guppies wouldnt go mad at you for putting them in a 5gal, but to be hoest, 5 is a little bit heavy

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd leave him in the 5 gallon. The danios will nip too much and so will the BA tetras. Theoretically, he'd be happIER in a larger tank but the reality is that the potential tank mates would probably shred his tail.

-Lisa

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
oh, danios, tsk,tsk... id feel sorry for the guppies if it had its tail eaten by a pack of danios...

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ranga97 said:
I think 2-3 guppies wouldnt go mad at you for putting them in a 5gal, but to be hoest, 5 is a little bit heavy
I'm not sure what your saying here? I've got 1 guppy and 6 red cherry shrimp in a 5 gallon tank. Not sure if you thought I had 5 in a 5 gallon. I learned not to do that after starting with 2 zebra danios and 2 buenos aires tetras in this 5 gallon tank!ops:

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kunsthure said:
I'd leave him in the 5 gallon. The danios will nip too much and so will the BA tetras. Theoretically, he'd be happIER in a larger tank but the reality is that the potential tank mates would probably shred his tail.

-Lisa
I thought the zebra's wouldn't work out. I've had no problems with my Ba's being nippy. I started with them in Feb., but have only had zebra's, my pleco and now the blue tetras, so I don't have much variety to work with. Even though, the 2 original zebras were long finned, and there was only one time were my largest ba tore into the largest zebra. That was because the ba was tired of the zebra trying to bully her.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry about mistaking you chunkdaddy, I must have misread...

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I put guppies in with danios. It worked for several weeks, and then the danios decided to attack. Guppy tail 0, danios 1. I would strongly advise against this combination. Danios are just too nippy to be with guppies.

Amano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
IME and IMO any sites that work out your stocking and fish you can add to them and what not are very inaccurate.

Since all your tanks have potential fin nippers, the 5 gallon is the only option.
IMO I see no issue at all. But I would not get any more. Just stay at that.

mac

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
why say that, Amano.

I think i have been given great stocking advice at Fishlore.

Amano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ranga97 said:
why say that, Amano.

It is not advice. I just do not recommend using these stocking sites due to the fact that they are very inaccurate.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think that 1 guppy in a 5gal is ok.

Amano said:
It is not advice. I just do not recommend using these stocking sites due to the fact that they are very inaccurate.
I use some stocking sites, but they are not the end all be all for information. They leave alot of things out when caculating all the information.

Usually if they say your overstocked and/or two fish should not go together they are right. If they give you the green light they might be wrong.

They can be useful for research, but they should not be your ONLY research.

Amano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Really since most people when they start fish keeping get easily let astray RE fish stocking. And the big issue is what to trust.

So when a stocking site says that all is well then away they go. When in the end they can end up with issues. Some fluke it or they are only keeping fish that can get away with these stockings sites due to their nature.

There is so many variables with fish that IME it would take ever to long to even try to make a site to make a guess of the ratios and stocking levels needed.

Not even to get into the sex's off various species. Then getting into the cichlids with each ones individuality.

The bigger issues is once you get into these sites and start looking into them there is a huge amount of 100% fact that a fish is a robot. And yes a lot are fixing it. But it takes forgever. So the best thing is to skip them and check forums and the old and faithful books.

mac

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ranga97 said:
why say that, Amano.

Ranga, he's not talking about fishlore. He's talking about aqadvisor.

That website suggests the same thing that Amano does, that any advice given there should be researched and checked on your favorite forum.

OP, I still vote no on the guppy and danio mixture. A single guppy with some shrimp will probably be okay in a 5 gallon. I agree with the others - leave things as-is, and mess with it only if you see it become necessary.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooohhhhh I get it!!!!!!!!!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads