Guppy/community tank question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Bellusion, Jul 26, 2015.

1. B

Bellusion Valued Member Member

I don't know if I am putting this in the right place, I apologize.

I have a 20 gallon long. Fake plants. Mix of sand/gravel substrate.

It will have 6x diamond tetras, 2x ghost shrimp, and 1x mystery snail. I am still cycling it so it doesn't have these yet. My friend is giving me the snail and I will buy the rest. (I have 1 diamond tetra and 1 ghost shrimp now.. bought before I understood how to properly set up tank, so doing a fish in cycle). I will not add them all at once.

My daughter really wants the colorful guppies.

A few questions before I tell her okay -

1) Most important - Will guppies be okay with this set up?

2) We don't want to deal with babies. Can I have just male guppies and if so, how many? Would one or two be okay?

3) If I have to have females to keep them healthy and happy, how to prevent babies?

Thanks!

Edit: I keep reading about aerators.. I don't have one. Do I need one?

2. T

ThatGuppyGuy Valued Member Member

That should be fine.
    Get your full school of tetra's first, then the guppies.
    You can have just males no problem. When there's boys and girls in the same tank there really is no way to stop them having babies.
    As for aerators they aren't always needed. If your filter is making plenty of ripples on the surface of the water that's enough.

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

1) Yes, guppies will be fine in that setup.
    2) Yes, one or two will be fine. Unlike many other fish, guppies aren't schooling fish, so you can kinda keep as many or as little as you want. Although, I think mine was happier when I got him a buddy.
    3) You don't have to get females, and I wouldn't get females unless you want babies, because they can and will reproduce like crazy.

Don't know about the aerator, sorry.

4. OP
    OP
    B

Bellusion Valued Member Member

Thank you both!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice