Guppy Colours

Margaux

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I finally decided to add a bunch of female guppies to my community tank. I'm not super concerned about being overrun by fry because they're currently all in with my rather voracious yoyo loaches, but I am going to be moving 4 or 5 of the guppies (probably 1-2 males and 3 females) over to my classroom 10g. I have a few really pretty guppies including two red/black males with tiger-looking tails and a really pretty metallic blue female. I would like as much as possible to get surviving fry that are pretty (because why else deprive Gary and his loach gang of snacks?). Do colours breed true in guppies? If I get a blue-ish male, eventually, would he and the blue female have pretty blue babies? Do those large, fanned tiger tails breed true?

JtheFishMan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Guppy genetics are pretty difficult to understand if you don't have the background of the two mating guppies.

But, in your case, the two blue guppies, male and female, may have an increased chance of breeding blue guppy fry. You can actually put them two in a tank by themselves. Eventually, she would become pregnant with that blue male. Once you see she is pregnant, remove the male so he doesn't harass her anymore. You will almost be guaranteed that she will produce blue fry.

SarahMcGee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You will probably get a mix unless you buy a line that is already breeding true. But if you put a pretty female with a pretty male they will probably have pretty babies. If you kept breeding the babies they might start to revert to wild type looking guppies.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom