Guppy changed colour badly

1. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

http://imgur.com/cAQUXpy
    Hi everyone, i noticed one of my guppies was off color the last week, tonight i looked at her again and she has changed to a dark black color, she was a clear color guppy. She is not well, i have had her over a month i think. All the other guppies in the tank are good. Tonight i did a full water change and washed the rocks, i could not avoid this because i dont have a rock vacuum and there was food in the rocks. The tank had been set up a few months. Have you any idea what would turn my guppy black?
    Should i do a water test now after i only change the water an hour ago? How can i save her?

2. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Definitely test the water right quick and post your readings
    P.s. I definitely recommend getting a gravel vac asap. They're pretty important

3. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi Peace, I have moved her to my hospital tank now, the other guppies bit her tail.
    She is swimming around a bit but having moments of laying on her side.
    Hospital tank readings are:
    PH 7.6
    Ammonia 0.25
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5.0
    The tank she came from readings are:
    PH 7.6
    Ammonia 0.25
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10
    I wont be able to get a gravel vac for at least 2 weeks.
    Im not sure shes going to make it through the night, i wish there was more i do.

4. peregrine Member Member

Thanks for the parameters. OK. First thing I notice is both have a .25 ammonia reading. That looks like your cycle may not have finished. Noticed in the guppy next to the dark one it looks like it's gills are red, am I seeing things ((which is TOTALLY plausible)) or are they?

you really need to look into getting a gravel vac. Doing 100% water changes every time you need ot clean your gravel can stress out your fish and cause illness.

5. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi peregrine,
    Thank you for your comments. You were not seeing things, yes the guppies gills are red in color and so are all the other guppies and barbs in the main tank. Here is a close up photo of her with the red gills:
    http://imgur.com/WPPThst
    Here are the readings this morning of the main tank: The ammonia has gone.
    PH 7.6
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10
    The black guppy is still alive this morning, much to my surprise and she even looks a little better and is staying upright for the time being. She is still in hospital tank which readings this morning are: The ammonia has also gone.
    PH 7.6
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5.0
    What does the red gills mean?

6. peregrine Member Member

Glad to hear the ammonia went to 0. Red gills is ammonia poisoning. Basically it irritates their gills causing trouble breathing. I would love to say I have't had that issue, buuuuutttttt a few weeks back I did something dumb and partially restarted my cycle. The red will go away over time as it heals. If you have some aquarium salt you might want to add some to the tank ((it's really small amounts, I want to say like half a teaspoon a gallon)) and will help with the breathing and with the healing.

Keep an eye on the black one, she may end up just fine, might be just a special color. There are fish ((don't know if guppys are one of them)) that when they mature they change or add coloration.

7. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Yes both tanks have been treated with salt conditioner yesterday so hopefully and with fingers crossed the redness of the gills goes away and the black guppy makes it. I will update if anything changes, thanks again :)

8. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hm its day 3 and all she does is lay on her side on the gravel and every now and then she has moments of craziness. I think she is slowly dieing which is horrible to watch. Shes not eating, not swimming and nope pooping. This is awful :(

9. peregrine Member Member

I hate to say it, but sounds like it might be time to euthanize the poor fishy...

10. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi Peregrine,
    I think your right, she is suffering badly. Ok so i will now put her to sleep.
    I hate this :(

11. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What do you mean by salt conditioner? Don't you use Prime?

12. peregrine Member Member

13. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Yes i now use prime but i also use aquarium salt too. Its called Aquamate Aouarium Conditioning Salt.

14. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Do you need to add salt? I think guppies are one of the more tolerant species but salt really isn't necessary for freshwater fish.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the original problem but it's the only thing that stands out to me:-\

15. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hm i have used the salt in all my tanks so i hope to god that's not the problem!
    I just euthanize her, she is now dead. RIP

16. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry for your loss x

17. Cakey Member Member

Sorry for you loss.

18. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

S.i.p :(

19. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Thank u guys, i had bad anxiety putting her to sleep its a sad thing but shes not suffering now.

20. peregrine Member Member

@Aquaphobia adding salt is not necessary, however adding a little bit of aquarium salt has been shown to do a few things.

1) help with osmotic gill function to allow them to breathe a little easier if their gills get damage or just in general.
    2) has been shown to aid in healing of fish.

The amount of salt is extremely low. Like mine says 1/2 teaspoon per US Gal (4 liter). However there are a few totally non tolerant fish with salt. So knowing your fish before adding is imperative.

EDIT: Sorry you had to do that Sabrina, always a sad day putting any pet down..