Guppy breeding - Page 5

KribensisLover1

Yes. Mine fell off though and I found three living krib babies in the hob. So make sure it’s super tight lol. Which I’m sure you know just sharing my funny anecdote.

Lakenvelderin

Yeah, you can use a prefilter sponge or even put noticeably pregnant fish in a breeder net to raise the fry in there. A prefilter sponge is probably easier and might work better, but a breeder net has many uses.

ojdgtjc

Yeah, you can use a prefilter sponge or even put noticeably pregnant fish in a breeder net to raise the fry in there. A prefilter sponge is probably easier and might work better, but a breeder net has many uses.
thanks! but won't the mother guppy eat all of the babies in the breeder net?

Lakenvelderin

thanks! but won't the mother guppy eat all of the babies in the breeder net?
I believe--and this is not from my own experience so take it with a grain of salt--if you place the mother in the net shortly before giving birth and remove her the minute you see fry, then it might work. You could also put moss or some other fine-fibered plant in the net for the babies to hide in until you can remove the mother.

ojdgtjc

I believe--and this is not from my own experience so take it with a grain of salt--if you place the mother in the net shortly before giving birth and remove her the minute you see fry, then it might work. You could also put moss or some other fine-fibered plant in the net for the babies to hide in until you can remove the mother.
okay thanks. the one problem is, I still go to school, so I could miss it and it could be too late. is there a way I could grow java moss in the tank so the fry could hide in without putting it in the breeder net?

Lakenvelderin

okay thanks. the one problem is, I still go to school, so I could miss it and it could be too late. is there a way I could grow java moss in the tank so the fry could hide in without putting it in the breeder net?
For sure! From what I've heard java moss is really easy and doesn't need anything special. In that case you'd want to cover the filter intake, and you still might get some fry that are eaten by the adults, but it's a good option.

ojdgtjc

For sure! From what I've heard java moss is really easy and doesn't need anything special. In that case you'd want to cover the filter intake, and you still might get some fry that are eaten by the adults, but it's a good option.
do the roots need to be in the soil? or can I have them floating?

Lakenvelderin

do the roots need to be in the soil? or can I have them floating?
I'm not sure, I've never grown java moss. I think it can grow floating, but most people tie it or glue it with aquarium-safe glue to a rock or driftwood.

ojdgtjc

okay, so I'm kinda new at guppy breeding, and I want to try it out. do fancy guppies breed just as much as regular guppies? I have an empty 10 gallon that would be the breeding tank. I will use a HOB filter with a prefilter sponge. I don't want to have another tank to raise the fry, so would I be able to float java moss or hornwort so the babies can hide in? which one is easier maintenance? it won't have full spectrum lights, it still will have a little LED light that came from a 2.5 gallon, but it won't be a ton. which plant doesn't need a ton of light? I'm assuming java moss because its a kind of moss and I don't think those will need a ton of light. also it will be by a window, not in direct sunlight, but it will be kinda near a window, so do I need full spectrum lighting if the sun will be near? thanks!

OJDGTJC

CichlidJynx

I would suggest Hornwort, it will grow like a weed which is perfect for a growing population. I do believe fancy guppy’s will breed at the same pace and brood as regular guppy’s.

FinalFins

They are both the same species so yes.

RobynI

My guppies have been reproducing like rabbits and I have managed to save quite a lot of the young fry and put in separate tanks. Some of the juveniles are now getting fairly large, large enough to not be eaten by the adults I think, so I was wondering if I could return them to the adult tank or if it’s best to keep separated?

DuaneV

Yeah, theyre Guppies, its what they do. lol

If you're not breeding for profit, don't even bother. If you removed ALL the males right now, your females will continue pumping out babies for the next year and half.

If theyre too big to be eaten, you have nothing to worry about.

ojdgtjc

yea I breed to feed to my oscar, and I just have guppy grass in the tank, and the babies do a decent job at hiding but now and then one will disappear but for the most part they're fine

RobynI

My uncle buys guppies for his Oscar but I don’t want to sell mine as food! But not sure what else to do with them. Already have 3 tanks on the go...with babies, juveniles and adults

AquaCaitlin

My uncle buys guppies for his Oscar but I don’t want to sell mine as food! But not sure what else to do with them. Already have 3 tanks on the go...with babies, juveniles and adults

what I’ve done with my guppies (ages 4 months-1 month) is put all the males (20 of them) in a tank, and the females (about 40) divided between 2 tanks.
They’re 10 gallons, and I change the water constantly. I haven’t had any die yet.

if you don’t want to have a bunch of guppies in your aquarium’s and don’t want them to be eaten (I would never let mine get eaten haha I’m very protective of them) you could look into making a fairly miniature outdoor pond (there’s some videos on youtube about it I believe) or you could try and find people who wouldn’t mind taking some.

Ive managed to find someone who wants 6 of my females and 2 of my males, it’s definitely difficult to find homes where they won’t be used as feeders.

RobynI

what I’ve done with my guppies (ages 4 months-1 month) is put all the males (20 of them) in a tank, and the females (about 40) divided between 2 tanks.
They’re 10 gallons, and I change the water constantly. I haven’t had any die yet.

if you don’t want to have a bunch of guppies in your aquarium’s and don’t want them to be eaten (I would never let mine get eaten haha I’m very protective of them) you could look into making a fairly miniature outdoor pond (there’s some videos on youtube about it I believe) or you could try and find people who wouldn’t mind taking some.

Ive managed to find someone who wants 6 of my females and 2 of my males, it’s definitely difficult to find homes where they won’t be used as feeders.
Thanks for that. So far I can’t give them away but I thought with so many families self isolating some kids might enjoy having them.

SamanthaJane

Hello!
Due to quarantine and lack of new fish in stores I currently have 1 guppy pair to breed.
Both guppies were in a community tank along with other tank mates in a 30 gallon. The male was constantly chasing her. I noticed her gravid spot is enlarged and very black however is she not noticeably fat, but is not skinny. I can't tell if she's pregnant or not. I must add she is young and this is probably her first pregnancy. I placed the female guppy In my other 7 gal aquarium to develop fry if she has any in her. Does she?? Should I put her back in the community tank with the other male and wait for her to show better signs of pregnancy? Or should I leave her in her new tank without the male guppy?
I previously added the pair together in this 7 gal but the male was constantly chasing her so i later removed him back to the 30 gal, to reduce stress.

Now i have a single female in a 7 gal and I'm not sure if she's pregnant or not!
What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200502_030124_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Screenshot_20200502_030124_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20200502_030112_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Screenshot_20200502_030112_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 49

FishGirl115

Hmm. She definitely doesn't look fat... But I have no experience with this subject...

StarGirl

I think if she has a dark gravid spot she is probably pregnant. Shes a guppy so probably pregnant If she doesnt seem stressed by herself just leave her and see what happens.

Side note.....Samantha Jayne was my baby girl name....(heart) but never had any kids!

AquaticQueen

I wouldn't be surprised if she is pregnant, depending on how old she is, and adding the gravid spot, so she probably is.
He was chasing her to mate and she will eventually die of stress from his constant chasing so when you can, get a couple more females so he has more females to chase.

SamanthaJane

I think if she has a dark gravid spot she is probably pregnant. Shes a guppy so probably pregnant If she doesnt seem stressed by herself just leave her and see what happens.

Side note.....Samantha Jayne was my baby girl name....(heart) but never had any kids!
Yes i think I'm gonna keep her and hope she makes me a guppy mom. Haha!

Also what a coincidence! People seem to call me Mary Jane quite more often, dunno why!

she will drop the young when she is ready not all fish when preg get big

SNiblett

Hi there
I'm picking up my 3 guppies next week, 1 male and 2 females.
I was just wondering what would I get if I bred a white platinum female with a flame red and orange male together?

Thank you

mg13

You'd most likely get red and orange, just like your male. It's hard to tell which traits a female guppy may be carrying in her genes if you don't know where she came from. That's a possibility of the mix. Females all tend to be a whiter color, and so it's a bit hard to say what they may look like from her side.

SNiblett

You'd most likely get red and orange, just like your male. It's hard to tell which traits a female guppy may be carrying in her genes if you don't know where she came from. That's a possibility of the mix. Females all tend to be a whiter color, and so it's a bit hard to say what they may look like from her side.

I must have gotten it wrong then, I didn't really realise. I thought because the tails where short and round that they were Females but now I think they might have all been males, could you take a quick look? I know that there is also about 3 endlers in there, dont mind them lol.

This is the photo from my LFS

20200610_144951.jpg

(This one is the same photo) I thought the ones circled blue where females but now I see theyre males. Do you think the one circled green is a female?

Screenshot_20200611-125501_Photos~2.jpg

mg13

Your best bet for picking out the females is to look for the gravid spots. Tail size is one way, but usually not the most dependable. Dorsal fins on females tend to be shorter too, but gravid spots is the most sure way of knowing. I can't exactly tell from your photos. Are those all from the same parents? Or did you get the white ones one place and the yellow ones somewhere else?

zorianak

I'd need a closer photo of the female. Agreed on gravid spot - even babies get those. Some platinum whites are a bit hard to tell based off of gravid, and this photo of the green isn't close enough to get a good read. Still, I'd gamble on a male.

Tallen78

I must have gotten it wrong then, I didn't really realise. I thought because the tails where short and round that they were Females but now I think they might have all been males, could you take a quick look? I know that there is also about 3 endlers in there, dont mind them lol.

This is the photo from my LFS

20200610_144951.jpg

(This one is the same photo) I thought the ones circled blue where females but now I see theyre males. Do you think the one circled green is a female?

Screenshot_20200611-125501_Photos~2.jpg
It’s hard to tell but did u say this pic is from ur lfs if so they are probably male fish stores tend to pick up males due to the colors as u know females don’t have near the coloring of males and in my lfs they would be separated but again really can’t tell

Mikedick77

I lucked out into getting one of these from a Full gold female and a Dumbo Dragon looking male (First Pic). I been trying to nail down the strain, unsuccessfully, and have ended up with slight variances like reds showing up, the tail not dotting but striping instead. I stopped at the LFS and found 2 females with real prominent dotting on the tails and brought them home. Do you guys think i'll be able to get more of the characteristics with these 2 females, and the plus side of them watering down the gene?

I have them with 6 of my other females of that type, and 3 males. I also have 14 others from a later litter starting to color up with the black body, yellow tails. The dots always show up last.

Attachments

• IMG_1769.JPG
    IMG_1769.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1773.JPG
    IMG_1773.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1788.JPG
    IMG_1788.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1804.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 23

SM1199

When crossing strains, it's always a toss-up. I would say if you're not getting what you want from your current crosses, there's no harm in trying with a different cross. You won't know until you attempt it. That being said, strains take many generations to breed true and you're not going to get it nailed down in the first few no matter what crosses you attempt.

emeraldking always has more insight with livebearers.

John58ford

To enhance or eliminate a trait, it requires selective single pair mating over multiple generations:
Male 1 (m1) + female 1(f1) = gen one (g1)drops

Select the two best from gen 1 and they become g1m and g1f or re-use m1 or 1

G1m(or m1) + G1f(or f1)= G2
Select the best of G2 or reuse m1 or f1 and continue the cycle. After about gen 5 you will possibly have males and females in the drop that breed 60% or more "true" to the mutation/trait.

Here's the thing, and it will sounds cruel but it's true. You need to cull/kill or at least put in a tank to forget about all the ones you didn't select(and use separate male/female tanks). Each generation will yield 50-120 fry if you let the single selected mom drop all 6 or more times. You only need one pair selected from each generation so it means you will kill/cull/put in a different tank to forget about around 100 fry, five or more times. So, to reach generation 5, you will likely need to dispose of 500+ fish to get to your goal.

You could try to do a free breeding colony like you describe, but without controlling who pairs with who you will definitely get a common mutation or trait, but it will not be the one you selected, and will take dozens of generations. Colony breeding is actually a good way to prove your line after you selectively breed a trait. If done well all the fish of your line will look identical even in a colony. You will still end up having to observe and eliminate any oddballs or you will again dilute your line with defects.

Selective breeding works well if you have somewhere for your culls to go, whether a food chain (predator/reptile) or a big pond. Don't flood your lfs with defects/culls (unless as feeder I guess) or it will impact your local market. Then when you have a true line you won't have any market left to saturate because everyone already had one "like" that one.

Mikedick77

I see. My LFS does take them as feeders, and I also have a guy at work with a 55 gallon with 3 large gold fish in it. I guess I have the time, and the tanks to do it. All i've been after is a certain color scheme for the community tank. I figured I could learn a bit along the way.

Thanks for the super in depth info. I'll be following through til the end on this one.

John58ford

I see. My LFS does take them as feeders, and I also have a guy at work with a 55 gallon with 3 large gold fish in it. I guess I have the time, and the tanks to do it. All i've been after is a certain color scheme for the community tank. I figured I could learn a bit along the way.

Thanks for the super in depth info. I'll be following through til the end on this one.
Right on, I got a mutation in endler hybrids to about 60% true using the best male and the best 3 females from first drop only over 5 generations. At the time I was trying to get the color changing tailspot and green/orange bar perfectly centered on the tail, ignoring all other traits for selection. I was feeding a baby snake at the time so it made it an easy process. I would have had better luck with only one female but I needed the volume.

If you set up a frat display tank, sorority tank, breeding pair/birthing tank, and a fry grow/sexing tank(or 2 so you can keep the drops separated if you have an accelerated pair) you should be good to go with a line of your own. My birthing tank and grow outs are my only species tanks, the frat(s) and sororities compliment other community species well.

If you want to get super serious a rack of 12 tens, 6 upper and 6 lower per line would be a great a set up; add a couple stand alone 30-40 gallon tanks to fully grow your prize males for online and high end LFS sales and you could look pretty pro. Get about 10 of those racks running and you could probably even make a dollar (besides store credit).

Mikedick77

Right on, I got a mutation in endler hybrids to about 60% true using the best male and the best 3 females from first drop only over 5 generations. At the time I was trying to get the color changing tailspot and green/orange bar perfectly centered on the tail, ignoring all other traits for selection. I was feeding a baby snake at the time so it made it an easy process. I would have had better luck with only one female but I needed the volume.

If you set up a frat display tank, sorority tank, breeding pair/birthing tank, and a fry grow/sexing tank(or 2 so you can keep the drops separated if you have an accelerated pair) you should be good to go with a line of your own. My birthing tank and grow outs are my only species tanks, the frat(s) and sororities compliment other community species well.

If you want to get super serious a rack of 12 tens, 6 upper and 6 lower per line would be a great a set up; add a couple stand alone 30-40 gallon tanks to fully grow your prize males for online and high end LFS sales and you could look pretty pro. Get about 10 of those racks running and you could probably even make a dollar (besides store credit).
I have 10 tanks already lol. I think it'd be a hard sell for even more tanks to the wife unless they sold, which I didn't get into it for really. If they're that desirable, I wouldn't hold them to myself though. I do have another Dragon with a full gold female in a tank now. I figured i'd try for the trait again, if anything for better genetics, and another roll on the variables.

The 3m/8f tank I have isn't the only tank of these. I have culls in another tank, plus the 14 juvi's from the same G1 parents in another 10g. I just like the 2 females I got from the LFS because the females I have don't have the tail dots. I'm kinda hoping I can get the trait on my females as a side project. Wife won't let me use the G1 male anymore either. He's a house favorite in the community tank.
Here's better pics of the male, and of the 14 juvi's. Those are about a month old, and you could see the colors after about a week.

Attachments

• IMG_1896.JPG
    IMG_1896.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1952.JPG
    IMG_1952.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1967.JPG
    IMG_1967.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 13

emeraldking

Well, if you purchase females at an lfs, be sure that they´re clean. In this case, clean means that they don´t carry any sperm packets of one or more former matings or that you´re dealing with virgin females. It´s of no use to use females that already store sperm packets of former matings. If such a female wants her eggs to be fertilized, she´ll open up randomly one or more folds of her oviduct where she stores the sperm packets. Once such sperm packets are released, they´ll fertilize her eggs. But in that case, you won´t know if the fry will be fathered by one or more males.

If you´d like to breed on certain traits, you ought to know how dominant or how recessive those traits are when passed on. You also need to know wether it´s Y- or X-linked. Or if they're autosomal. A lot of people that don't know something of guppy genetics, are breeding guppies based on their phenotype instead of genotype. For instance: Is a black guppy besides phenotypical black also genotypical black?

Recently I´ve read a reply somewhere that someone adviced someone else to cross a son back to the mother in order to guarantee a specific trait. That´s a stupid remark, for the mother wasn´t clean yet. No serious breeder would give that as a serious advice. It´s very annoying to read such stuff. I´m a serious keeper and breeder myself. So, that does feel a bit disturbing to read such things.

Breeding guppies in a playful way is possible, but it often takes more time to achieve the right results. With the exception of beginner's luck...

John58ford

for the mother wasn´t clean yet
I am glad you mentioned this, in my example I was not direct to the point that if you want to reuse the gen1 female you would have to wait for all the drops, 6+ months of gen 2 fry before trying to re-use her. It wouldn't be the fast track to a line by any means.

Mikedick77

Thanks for that reply Emeraldking. I guess I could wait on those for 6 months. It wouldn't bother me much to isolate those and let them dry up if they aren't clean. I can see what kind of males they spit out in the mean time, since the LFS had none there like that. It'd be worth seeing if I could catch that trait, even by luck down the road. Often times you don't really know how something turns out, until you know In any case I have enough tanks to grow out a few generations of fry while I wait.

I have other candidates from that same batch of my parent fish. It does seem that I fairly consistently catch the yellow tail, and i'll find out about the long white dorsal fin on top in a few weeks when my juvi males grow it out a little more.

I did read that some fry females can be born carrying the sperm already. Have you seen this happen? If so, is it the father's sperm packets being carried? This is one of those things I'd rather take the word of someone who's maybe seen this than what I read.

emeraldking

I am glad you mentioned this, in my example I was not direct to the point that if you want to reuse the gen1 female you would have to wait for all the drops, 6+ months of gen 2 fry before trying to re-use her. It wouldn't be the fast track to a line by any means.
Oh, I know what you've meant. But I wasn't referring to you, btw. I was referring to a topic on Facebook.
But such females can even store those sperm packets for over a year. So, I wouldn't use females that have mated within a year period anyways.
Thanks for that reply Emeraldking. I guess I could wait on those for 6 months. It wouldn't bother me much to isolate those and let them dry up if they aren't clean. I can see what kind of males they spit out in the mean time, since the LFS had none there like that. It'd be worth seeing if I could catch that trait, even by luck down the road. Often times you don't really know how something turns out, until you know In any case I have enough tanks to grow out a few generations of fry while I wait.

I have other candidates from that same batch of my parent fish. It does seem that I fairly consistently catch the yellow tail, and i'll find out about the long white dorsal fin on top in a few weeks when my juvi males grow it out a little more.

I did read that some fry females can be born carrying the sperm already. Have you seen this happen? If so, is it the father's sperm packets being carried? This is one of those things I'd rather take the word of someone who's maybe seen this than what I read.
First of all, such females can store those sperm packets for over a year. Not just a couple of months.

Common commercial livebearer females carrying sperm packets already don't exsist. But there are asexual livebearers (that consist of females) . Such female livebearers do need a male (close related to their own species) to trigger the development of an embryo in an egg. All genetic DNA of the male will be broken down and only the genetic story of the female will be passed on. Which results in only female offspring which are also the clones of the mother. Such livebearers are called gynogenetic livebearers.
But there are livebearer species in the wild that do clone themselves without any participation of a male. Such livebearers are called parthenogenestic livebearers. But this type of reproduction does not occur with guppies.

Mikedick77

Oh, I know what you've meant. But I wasn't referring to you, btw. I was referring to a topic on Facebook.
But such females can even store those sperm packets for over a year. So, I wouldn't use females that have mated within a year period anyways.

First of all, such females can store those sperm packets for over a year. Not just a couple of months.

Common commercial livebearer females carrying sperm packets already don't exsist. But there are asexual livebearers (that consist of females) . Such female livebearers do need a male (close related to their own species) to trigger the development of an embryo in an egg. All genetic DNA of the male will be broken down and only the genetic story of the female will be passed on. Which results in only female offspring which are also the clones of the mother. Such livebearers are called gynogenetic livebearers.
But there are livebearer species in the wild that do clone themselves without any participation of a male. Such livebearers are called parthenogenestic livebearers. But this type of reproduction does not occur with guppies.
Thank you very much for clarifying. I have my original male (talked my wife into it) in a tank with 5 females of this brood. I put those other 2 females in a 10 gallon breeder with my best juvi male out of the bunch, for a side project. Only one has a black spot on her, the other is much smaller and it's still that milky pink color. We will see what happens. Until then i'll continue to use my original male with further generations on. I'll just keep this as controlled as possible.

I really appreciate how in depth you both have been with this. I believe I see how this needs to be done with the great info you've provided. I'm actually pretty excited to see how this unravels. Glad I have a bunch of tanks!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• henleyaquariums
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • Question
  • Baiulus
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Baiulus