Guppy Breeding Question Question

1. KyraNarwhals

KyraNarwhals New Member Member

So, I have a 1 gallon tank and I want to selectively breed guppies. Can I put both in the 1 gallon till they breed, then remove the male when they have? Of course I would keep on top of the tank clean and such. Then move the female when she is about to give birth to a bigger tank (which I would have to buy)? It would basically be just till they bred.

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

I would do at least a 1:2 ratio since the male can stress the female to death. i would also recommend at least 5 gallons in order for the female to get away from the males. Make sure the tank is densly planted to deter stress. You could add in some indian almond leaves to help with that.

3. OP
    OP
    KyraNarwhals

I only have 1 female sadly. I would also watch to make sure the female isn’t stressed.

4. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

It doesn't seem to be the best idea to move them around so much. I'd not use a 1gal tank either. A 10gal tank would work just fine for breeding and raising the young after they are born. You would need it cycled of course and don't worry about the male not being able to get the female, he will as they always do. Remove the male after a few days you can bet a month later you will have fry.

5. OP
    OP
    KyraNarwhals

I don’t currently have a 10 gallon tank.