Guppy Breeding Log

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been running a journal on my computer on the progress of my breeding, and I thought it would be a good idea to run one here on the forum too, to show the results of pure-line and crossbreeding the Guppy. I have 4 males that I'm working with at the moment, and all of my females were bred by me, and kept in a female-only tank until I'm ready to breed them.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Flame

This is Flame, my red tailed tuxedo Guppy. The best breeder that I own in terms of enthusiasm! He NEVER tires of trying to reproduce, and I try and keep him away from the girls unless I want him breeding, as he never leaves them alone, and tends to stress them a bit.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Snake

Snake is my oldest male, a neon green Cobraskin. His tails not as big as it used to be, but he's still going strong, and has fathered many young. He's my favorite.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Leopard

This is Leopard, who I don't think is any particular strain. I call him a Neon Leopardskin, but I'm pretty sure he's a mix of allsorts. He was all alone in the petstore with a bunch of Platies when I bought him. He's the youngest of my males.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Blue

And finally Blue. He's a powderblue neon, with a tail so big that swimming isn't easy for him. Blue has a special tank for breeding, a tiny 1 gal, as anything bigger and he can't catch the girls! He stays in there for 24hrs at a time with a few girls, then goes back to the Nanocube.

Tony G.

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
holy! look at him! he is gorgeous!!! i have never seen that cooraton on guppies before!!!!!

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
At the moment my 2 crossbreeding projects are Flames daughters crossed with Leopard, and Blues daughters crossed with Snake. The Blue/Snake project is still too early to see any real results, but Flame/Leopard is producing some interesting offspring. These guys are about 3 months old now, colours are well developed, tails showing increased growth.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tanks

These are a few of the tanks I use. The adult males live in the Nanocube with a few older females who aren't used for breeding anymore, the males just seem happier with girls in with them. The females give birth in the traps in the little 5gals, and the fry remain in the 5 gals for 2 weeks until they are moved up into one of the grow-out tanks. I'd rather keep these bare bottom, but they're in our living room, and the wife insists they must look "nice". The fry are fed crushed flake, decapsulated brineshrimp eggs, and live baby brineshrimp. They are fed 5 times a day, and have 50% waterchanges every other day. Tank temps run at 85f to prevent ich. Higher temps also make them grow faster.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nick, this is a great idea! Thank you so much for being willing to share it with us. I'll be watching your results closely

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have the last of my Snake x Flame males leaving today for new homes. I've decided to keep the best of the males as I think they're pretty nice and they sell well too. Heres a pic of one of the boys, and his sister who I'm keeping as well. These are the result of crossing one of Flames daughters with Snake.
I make my own names up for the type, these are called half-black mosaics.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
New Tank for the Boys

My new 20gal has been set up for 24hrs, and all the readings are good so I had a good sort out of my young Guppies today. Moved the sexually mature boys into the new 20gal, (about 20 of them), and females will now have the other 20gal to themselves. Culled about 8 that had developed bent spines. Culled fish go into the 90gal, where they only last about 5 secs, I find this the most humane way. The 40gal will now be used as an in between tank, and checked daily for developed males.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Nick. You have some great set ups and truly beautiful fish! Thanks for letting us know and see how you manage it all
Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looking forward to the results, am thinking of doing a bit of breeding soon as well, having had some success with a female I bought already pregnant from the shop (did not know at the time tho lol). It's amazing to watch them grow, my little male (only one atm, until others grow up a bit and I can tell for sure), Randy, is getting huge and I'll let you guess how he got his name... Needless to say he is not kept with the females any more (and he is only about 3 months old). Thought I would be kind and let him out of his little nursery, but noooo, he decided to pounce on a female added only days before and follow her relentlessly. Poor girl!
Until the time is right though, Randy, have patience

LauraJoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
WOW! Absolutely gorgeous fishies!

This will be very interesting to follow. Can't wait!

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RIP Snake......

Snake died today. I found him this morning when I woke up. He was my oldest Guppy and it wasn't really unexpected, but I'm still pretty sad about it, as he was my first "fancy" Guppy that I bought for my breeding program. On the bright side he fathered hundreds of babies, and on of his sons will now take his place in my breeding group. Rest in Peace Snake, you did a great job!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom