Guppy breeding and mixing wild with fancy

rm2np4
My birthday is coming up, and I want some new fish for my birthday. Maybe adding some fancy guppies to my wil guppy aquarium.
However, I learned from some bad experiences that when mixing those two, the wild guppy will attack the fancy one until it dies. Yet I got this idea because I did some research and some people actually said you can breed fancy guppies and wild guppies for amazing fish!
What should I believe?

bankruptjojo
you can read whatever you want and everyone will tell you something diff. not because they lie but because everyone has diff setups and diff fish with diff personality. if your fish is killing the other guppies then I would remove/rehome him or don't try it. if you do want to try it again then add a few guppies so the aggression will be spread. also try rearranging the tank to break up territory and see if that helps.

good luck.

Jim
What do tou mean by "wild" guppies? Are you talking Endlers, non-fancy guppies or pulled from a steam in South America?

davis
The term fancy guppy is a trait that has been selectively bred into the fish. All guppies started out as wild stock way back countless generations ago. There are always a few guppy fry that regress back towards the wild stock not encumbered with a large tail they seem to swim better and outcompete in the breeding process not having the fancy or trait we are looking to improve they need to be culled from the process. The Challenge of breeding fancy guppies is the reward of improving the traits we like to emphasize in the current strain.

plecodragon
Fancy male guppies and wild guppies can coexist but they do have a harder time competing for food and mates against the wild guppies. The wild guppies can swim way quicker and mate more with the females. This is usually why many say my fancy male is not giving me any babies-it is not for a lack of trying but the other males are getting the females quicker.

If you want to add some new blood to your guppies you could buy an already pregnant female guppy from the pet store and keep the fry separate (so not to become lunch) and then release them into the tank when they are older. Your new female will have likely mated with a fancy mystery male but the offspring could be very pretty and would likely be fancy strain. If healthy the female will give you multiple drops of fry. Then the new offspring will breed with your other guppies giving you a mix of fancy and wild.
This is what I did and I still have a few fancy strain guppies mixed with my wilder looking ones even multiple generations later.
Hope this helps good luck.

rm2np4
plecodragon said:
Fancy male guppies and wild guppies can coexist but they do have a harder time competing for food and mates against the wild guppies. The wild guppies can swim way quicker and mate more with the females. This is usually why many say my fancy male is not giving me any babies-it is not for a lack of trying but the other males are getting the females quicker.

If you want to add some new blood to your guppies you could buy an already pregnant female guppy from the pet store and keep the fry separate (so not to become lunch) and then release them into the tank when they are older. Your new female will have likely mated with a fancy mystery male but the offspring could be very pretty and would likely be fancy strain. If healthy the female will give you multiple drops of fry. Then the new offspring will breed with your other guppies giving you a mix of fancy and wild.
This is what I did and I still have a few fancy strain guppies mixed with my wilder looking ones even multiple generations later.
Hope this helps good luck.
Great idea! plecodragon!
Just so you know, my guppies were just wild guppies caught in a nearby lake. I live in the Midwest, meaning they aren't with their ancestors in some tropical swamp.

Jim
rm2np4 said:
Great idea! plecodragon!
Just so you know, my guppies were just wild guppies caught in a nearby lake. I live in the Midwest, meaning they aren't with their ancestors in some tropical swamp.
I remember back when I was a kid, quite a few small towns would buy a load of guppies and dump them in lakes to control Mosquitos.

Top Bottom