Guppy Breeders, whats your set up look like?

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to livebearers, and guppies in general, and already they have stolen my heart.

Big thanks to @Pwilly07 for selling me a trio of lovelies! Moscow Greens, but my lighting casts them blue. My lighting is terrible, but ehhh, I'm workin' on it :)

Anyhow, a question for the guppy breeders out there: What does your set up look like? I have done some research, watched lots of fish room tours, read, read and read some more, asked questions from fellow fishlorians, but would still like to see some more. I already have a basic idea of how I want things to go, or look like, but I'm open for more inspiration! Pictures please!

Attachments

emilyyyyy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't have much experience with guppy fry, however I do know that floating stem plants provide them with many places to hide. I've seen people use guppy grass and hornwort.

AquEric

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I breed guppies as dither fish to keep with my angelfish I pull out a couple of pregnant females when I need more put in a 10 or 20 gallon tank and feed the fry crushed flake food the ones born in the big tank's make great snacks easy fish to breed and raise

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I breed endler guppies in 2 foot long tanks I use undergravel filters and a heaters set at 24 all my tanks are undergravel filters even for my big cichlids and bristle nose I have big tanks and small tanks

OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
emilyyyyy said:
I don't have much experience with guppy fry, however I do know that floating stem plants provide them with many places to hide. I've seen people use guppy grass and hornwort.
Yes, currently my females hide in a jungle of anacharis to give birth. Then I net the fry out and they get transferred to another tank. Just yesterday one female gifted me with 31 new babies :)
IMG_20200706_125359045.jpg

IMG_20200705_145608357.jpg

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mhamilton0911 said:
I was thinking of a multiple tank rack, I'm just trying to decide on number and size of tanks.
Sponge filters, and live plants.

For dedicated breeding/grow out tanks, substrate or bare bottom?
hi mate sponge filters are good for guppies but I would avoid plants most people don't know that live plants carrie fish illnesses and un wanted snails just a friendly tip I learned that a long time ago cheers john u can do bare bottomed tanks

OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
I have ZERO pest snails in that tank, and that's where my bulk of anacharis is. I'm not worried about contamination. Plus the fry nibble on the oldest leaves, and find security in the denseness.

emilyyyyy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mhamilton0911 said:
Yes, currently my females hide in a jungle of anacharis to give birth. Then I net the fry out and they get transferred to another tank. Just yesterday one female gifted me with 31 new babies :)
IMG_20200706_125359045.jpg

IMG_20200705_145608357.jpg
looks amazing!

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bare bottom tanks or with substrate... both work! Up to you...
Overhere most are with substrate. Most tanks have sponge filters. Air filtered tanks are cheaper when it comes to the electric bill if you´ve got multiple tanks.
DSCF8364.JPG

OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
Is that a real lizard on the side there??

I like all the tanks. I'm definitely doing a multiple tank rack set up as well. I'm looking at 5 gallons each tank.

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mhamilton0911 said:
Is that a real lizard on the side there??

I like all the tanks. I'm definitely doing a multiple tank rack set up as well. I'm looking at 5 gallons each tank.
No, that's a fake one. Got it from my niece. Hard to say no to, huh...
But I used to have real lizards as well...
june 8th 2015 033.jpg

june 8th 2015 052.jpg

palu 025.jpg

internationaal reptielen en amfibieënbeurs nijmegen 2014 071.jpg

And a dwarf chameleon overhere.
internationaal reptielen en amfibieënbeurs nijmegen 2014 044a.jpg

internationaal reptielen en amfibieënbeurs nijmegen 2014 039.jpg

I've also kept different kinds of tropical frogs (even darts).

The tanks you've seen in this photo are just a number of the total number of tanks overhere.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here's my setup. I'd do it differently if I did it over again. For selective breeding, lots of 10's and 5's are needed. I also included a photo of Stephen Kwartler's fish room, Championship Show Guppies.

Attachments

MrCarpy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mhamilton0911 said:
I was thinking of a multiple tank rack, I'm just trying to decide on number and size of tanks.
Sponge filters, and live plants.

For dedicated breeding/grow out tanks, substrate or bare bottom?
Hi,
I breed guppies and I have 14 tanks in my fish room all 5G and 10G and a 2.5G. I also have a 20G long and 29G for grow outs and in the summer i run two ponds outdoors!

The amount of tanks really depends on how many strains you want to keep and how many lines of each. So assuming you are doing one strain and one line you would need a minimum of 4 5G tanks. You put the couple (M&F) in tank1, when she drops fry you move the couple to tank3 (restart process) Then tank 1 & 2 are for fry (you seperate male & females and grow them in there. Meanwhile in tank 3 the couple will drop fry again in her next cycle. You can move them to tank 4. meanwhile your other fry are growing in tank 1 & 2 so you need to figure what todo, if your keeping them then you might need 2 more tanks to grow them out, like 2 x 10G.

So probably looking at 4 x 5 gallons and 2 x 10 gallons. 6 tanks with sponge filters running off of one pump.
Live plants: Hornworth, Java Moss, Water Sprite. Floating plants are good.
As for bare bottom or not, your choice, gravel just means more work to clean and more cost $. On a small volume I guess its ok. I just wouldn't want multiple tanks with gravel too much work and cost.

hope that helps!

zorianak

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm getting started again on it, but I unfortunately don't have the room most people have, as I live in a townhouse. I'm currently converting my laundry room into a small fish room - right now I have a 20G for fry, and 2 10s: one for males and one for females. The 20G isn't bare-bottom the way I'd prefer as I'd already had gravel in there, but I'll be retiring it as soon as I can get additional tanks.

Agreed on the bit about snails + other fish-born illness in plants, but I also raise my own plants. None of these came directly from the fish store but are instead cast-offs from my display tank, so it's a majority of rotala, cabomba, and hornwort (IDK why my cabomba grows so massively compared to my hornwort, but I guess it just likes me). They aren't snail-free (the display tank is), but the snail eggs provide more food for the fry + eat up algae in the tanks (I vacuum but don't scrape; while we may hate the look of algae, it does provide additional food for 'em).

I've a thread going somewhere, but I haven't updated in a bit. Perhaps later today once I've had a chance to do some cleanup; I recently was able to get 2 of the 5.5s I've been wanting and am waiting on some supplies to come in for lighting/heating/filtering :) And yah, I use sponge filters in my other tanks, but I'm swapping to try an integrated small filter/heater combination to cut down on my cords a bit.

Edit: Also, this is a super helpful thread. Is there any way we can get a write-up like this, or a sticky?

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
GuppyDazzle said:
Here's my setup. I'd do it differently if I did it over again. For selective breeding, lots of 10's and 5's are needed. I also included a photo of Stephen Kwartler's fish room, Championship Show Guppies.
I'd love to have a fish room like this. My girlfriend would probably have a conniption though :p

Jollypop4321

Reaction score
Thank you for starting this Amazing thread! Pictures say a thousand words it’s so true
thank you everyone for your input and pics
my fish room consists of only four tanks as I am a newbie so to speak. I’m not at all sofisticated And only half way intelligent unlike the rest of you smart people so all my tanks are separate from each other Where the electric outlets are‍♂
i started out with three tanks. One for males one for females and a Very small 1 gallon for fry. I have so many fry now that I bought an additional 10 gallon to hold juveniles fry. But I’m still over loaded With fry and Don’t know what to do I don t dare toss any cause what if I toss “the one”!! Maybe Ihave more of a sickness than a passion for the hobby? Lol!!! But I do love those babies

New Threads