Guppy Breeder tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by dbrunsii, Jul 28, 2015.

1. d

dbrunsii New Member Member

I'm trying to set up a guppy breeder tank. I bought guppies and found out the hard way they are bullied by zebra danio (one male died). I still have 2 males and 1 female. The guppy is a Goleta guppy or Goleta dart. Anyway I quickly bought a medium breeder tank and put them all in there for the past week while I got a 10 gallon tank and there are already fry. Guess I'm a breeder now:;rules.
    My question is what is the best way to set up this breeder guppy tank. I want it set up today and I'm not trying to spend a lot. Can I just throw the filter on with half water from my established tank and half new water (read this somewhere) and I am also going to throw in instant bacteria that I bought. Are gravel and plants necessary or should I just separate the pregnant females into the breeder tank?

Thanks!

2. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

Bare bottom, 80-85f lots of filtration, your gonna be feeding them 5x a day small meals you need good filtration and lots of (id say 2-3x a week) about 50% water changes. I would use aquarium salt. ALot. Fish "farms" actually mix seawater in with their freshwater guppy fry to ward off diseases and parasites.
    Guppy Fry have a tendancie to "pin" up their cadual (back) tails. If you see this you must take out their filter and use methylene blue in their tank for 5-7 days because it WILL kill all your fry except maybe 1 or 2.

3. OP
    OP
    d

What fish do I put in the breeder tank? just the babies or should I put the larger babies and parents in there and keep the fry in the medium hang on the back tank?

Thanks a lot!

4. Matt68046

Just the fry. If you put fry with adults, the adults are thought to release a growth restricting hormone and out compete the fry for food, so fry are always seperated and raised seperately, even in the farms, and especially in guppy breeders rooms.

5. OP
    OP
    d

So just an update:
    I have a 10 gallon set up with nothing in it except a little java moss. The temp is at 80 and I put 2 tbsp of aquarium salt in. There are 5 fry in there and they are doing well. I am feeling them powdered flakes and I did a half water change yesterday. They seem to be doing well. I'm still looking into baby brine shrimp.

6. Matt68046

Cool, i hope you get more guppy fry too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice