Guppy Bloating

BettaLover07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
so I have a tank ( ten gallons) with female guppies only. I’m 110% sure only females and one of my females is really fat... she hasn’t been in contact with males for months.. is there something I can do about this? It’s stressing me out because every time I look at her o feel like she’s bigger. I’ve been fasting this tank for a few days then doing a small feeding so I know it’s not over feeding.

Attachments

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
She could possibly be egg bound or she is showing signs of dropsy. If she is egg bound you need her to release the eggs by putting her with a male, but if she is showing signs of dropsy then you should salt dip her before it is too late.

BettaLover07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OneLittleBubble said:
She could possibly be egg bound or she is showing signs of dropsy. If she is egg bound you need her to release the eggs by putting her with a male, but if she is showing signs of dropsy then you should salt dip her before it is too late.
What is dropsy? And is it something that can affect my other females?

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dropsy is a symptom caused by multiple things like bacterial infections, parasites and more stuff, but it shouldn't affect your others guppies unless it's some sort of tank problem like a parasite. I would start by changing the water giving her a salt dip and look into egg bound guppy problems because it might not be dropsy. If she starts to look like a pine cone then you will know it's dropsy.

Brannor

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OneLittleBubble said:
If she is egg bound you need her to release the eggs by putting her with a male
Sorry, why does she need to be with a male to release her eggs? Genuinely intrigued as to something I might not be aware of with my guppies.

-G

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Brannor said:
Sorry, why does she need to be with a male to release her eggs? Genuinely intrigued as to something I might not be aware of with my guppies.

-G
Sometimes fish that are girls will get egg bound and to release them you put them with a male that will help with that. Not really sure why it works, but it happens to many females and it's one of the ways you can solve it

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
From the pics she doesn’t appear to be pineconing...
how long have you had her? Females can store sperm for 6mo...
You can try feeding peas to see if she is constipated... have you seen her poop lately?
How long has she been large for? Gradual increase each day?

BettaLover07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jocelyn Adelman said:
From the pics she doesn’t appear to be pineconing...
how long have you had her? Females can store sperm for 6mo...
You can try feeding peas to see if she is constipated... have you seen her poop lately?
How long has she been large for? Gradual increase each day?
I’ve had her since about September. And I’ve seen her poop lately :/ not sure about it everyday but she just seems really BIG

BettaLover07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AquaticJ said:
Guppies do not lay eggs, they’re livebearers. Can you get more pictures?
Yes here are some more. And I know I shouldn’t be holding her but it is only a second and she is very friendly, weaving between my hands if I’m cleaning the inside of the glass. It’s just hard to get a good shot of her swimming around (She is being held over a cup of tank water btw) also when I hold her it’s like her belly almost feels like it’s full of air

Attachments

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It’s okay to hold them for a few seconds due to the circumstances! How long has she been like this?

BettaLover07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AquaticJ said:
It’s okay to hold them for a few seconds due to the circumstances! How long has she been like this?
For a week and a half I noticed she started getting bigger.. what’s going to happen to her?

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well guppy gestation is around a month, and since they’re livebearers like humans, their stomachs get big like that. She looks healthy otherwise, definitely not dropsy.

BettaLover07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AquaticJ said:
Well guppy gestation is around a month, and since they’re livebearers like humans, their stomachs get big like that. She looks healthy otherwise, definitely not dropsy.
The only problem is she hasn’t been in contact with males in a lon time.. she’s had babies before.. 3 drops. And since then she hasn’t had any male contact. Can she still have more fry?

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How sure are you that you only have females? Also, as someone mentioned, they can store sperm for up to 6 months. Having been pregnant before even strengthens the chance she has sperm stores.

BettaLover07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AquaticJ said:
How sure are you that you only have females? Also, as someone mentioned, they can store sperm for up to 6 months.
I’m very sure. I know how to tell because of their dorsal? I believe it’s called? Or the fin on the bottom because for females it’s rounded and males it’s pointed. My males are in a separate tank. And all my female are dull and grey.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
analfin, but you know what fin to look at so it’s fine. Dorsal is on the top! So it might be a good idea to boil peas, remove the skin, and feed them to her. They’re a laxative because of the fiber, so if by chance it’s constipation or digestive issues, it should make her get smaller. I shouldn’t have said it definitely isn’t dropsy, because the pine coning isn’t immediate. Watch closely for that.

Good call @Gypsy13! OP, the gravid spot should be a black colored area just above the start of the analfin.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom