Guppy bloating after starting API General Cure

Timo2015
Hello,

One of my male guppies began swelling around the abdomen a couple days ago, acting listless, breathing really hard at the surface and avoiding other fish. I diagnosed internal parasites after seeing him with a long, pale, stringy poop (my flake food ordinarily produces red/brown feces). His swelling wasn't like dropsy; it looks less like he's filled with fluid and more like his chest has suddenly gotten deeper. His symptoms aren't getting better or worse.

I started API General Cure about 36 hours ago, but overnight, one of my other males also got bloated, and it's looking more like dropsy. His scales are pineconing, and although he's eating and swimming normally, the swelling seems to be getting worse fast--he's larger now than he was an hour ago.

Is it normal for fish to get new symptoms *after* a treatment starts? Could this be a bacterial rather than a parasitic infection? I have E.M. Erythromycin if you think that might be a good idea.

Advertisement
CichlidJynx
I would do a 50% or larger water change and dose both API meds and let them sit for a week. How long have you had your food? Sometimes a expired food will cause bloat and if we keep feeding bad food it will just get worse.

Advertisement
Timo2015
The use by date on the food (API tropical flakes) says it's got another two years (although admittedly I don't remember when I got it... maybe about a year ago?) and I didn't feed them last night. (They only got a tiny bit of food this morning, just to check if they were eating. All the fish are.)

I did a 50% water change yesterday and fasted them in case that would help them pass the worms, so I doubt the food is the culprit... guess I'll start the erythromycin. I'm loath to change the water now that the General Cure is almost halfway through its course.

CichlidJynx
The use by date on the food (API tropical flakes) says it's got another two years (although admittedly I don't remember when I got it... maybe about a year ago?) and I didn't feed them last night. (They only got a tiny bit of food this morning, just to check if they were eating. All the fish are.)

I did a 50% water change yesterday and fasted them in case that would help them pass the worms, so I doubt the food is the culprit... guess I'll start the erythromycin. I'm loath to change the water now that the General Cure is almost halfway through its course.
I usually keep my food for 1-2 months and anything longer I put in the fridge. Most foods have oils that can go bad. You can try spirulina and that should act as a laxative

Timo2015
Update: both males are still very swollen. I'll see if I can pick up some epsom salts tonight, but quarantine restrictions might make it difficult.

They're both still moving and eating, and the second one even had the energy to act like a jerk towards a female that got trapped in the breeder net with him. I gave both of them a bit of pea, which they ate and passed with no issue; the swelling is definitely fluid retention and not constipation. Male #1 still has pale stringy poop.

I've read that General Cure takes a few days to work, so all hope isn't lost yet, but I'm definitely concerned. One of the females looks like she's getting swollen too...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
WrenFeenix
Replies
Views
AvalancheDave
Replies
Views
Fashooga
Replies
Views