guppy biting off tail of another guppy

1. robal Initiate Member

I have a 20 gallon tank for "mild-mannered" tropicals (and just recently started a 30 for semi-aggressives). I had a beautiful tequila sunrise guppy in my 20 gal. which was getting beaten up by 3 aggressive zebra danios (WHY?--question #1). Hence, I moved them to a 30 gal., for now. I got another beautiful yellow, spotted male guppy (thinking I was getting the original male guppy a friend), and during the night the new guppy completely dessimated the original guppy's tail fin, pulling it out in chunks and leaving only shreds (WHY?--question #2). He died that day.

Also in the tank at this time we have two neon tetras, one female platy (bought the same day as the new guppy), one grey skirt (very shy), four African dwarf frogs (small) and one otto. Our mollies died previously, white skirts brought back to the store previously for trying to kill grey skirt.

Please help if you have some ideas on this.

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Hi Robal,

Zebra Danios can be fin nippers. Especially when you have only a few of them. Having 6 or more of them might reduce the frequency of this fin nipping behavior. They will chase each other around and leave the other fish alone. Doesn't always work out that way though.

Did you actually see the one guppy attacking the other guppy? Could it have been one of the tetras? Like the zebra danios, tetras can be fin nippers too.

3. joe Member Member

was the guppy getting its tail bitten the male or the female because the male tails are huge and alot of fish bite them

4. fishfreak Member Member

i have the same problem with on of my male guppys i think its my male black mollie because he chases around that male guppy only around the tank i dont know what to do i ave another 10 gallon tank.

5. Craig Well Known Member Member

i havent had any problems with my guppies guys they just chase each other playfully around the tank but no aggressive behaviour