Guppy Birth Time?

1. l

lvides New Member Member

hey, i have a guppy which is having babies and she has had only 3 in 8hr, i see her really fat, so i wonder how much does it take for them to have them all usually?

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

It could take an hour to a few weeks for a guppy to give birth to a whole batch of fry.

3. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

How do you know she has only had 3? What if she ate all of them and only 3 survived? Where did she give birth?

4. OP
    OP
    l

lvides New Member Member

i have her on a box

wow

rn theres one with the tail out and shes struggling to get him out

5. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Fry can still swim upwards and get eaten, I cant imagine a guppy taking 8 hours to just pop 3 fry. I dont keep guppys but I do keep other livebearers and they usually pop all the fry in a matter of 1-2 hours. Is she a first timer?

6. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

You'll generally see most of them drop the same day but I do have a few females that will drop small batches of fry (5 to 8) about halfway between their expected delivery time. A few fry the day after the main drop is not rare at all.

7. OP
    OP
    l

lvides New Member Member

its not her first time, second, the first time she had only 2

8. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

The amazing thing about livebearers is that they can hold up to 3 batches of babies at once so she might have run out of room and that might be all for a few months. If this is her first birth that might be it.

* first, second, or third

9. OP
    OP
    l

lvides New Member Member

oh, awesome, what i dont like its that she is struggling more than what she did last time in giving birth

wow, all of the sudden i came to check on her, she now has about 20 babies