Guppy Birth Time?

1. lvides Initiate Member

hey, i have a guppy which is having babies and she has had only 3 in 8hr, i see her really fat, so i wonder how much does it take for them to have them all usually?

2. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

It could take an hour to a few weeks for a guppy to give birth to a whole batch of fry.

3. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

How do you know she has only had 3? What if she ate all of them and only 3 survived? Where did she give birth?

4. lvides Initiate Member

i have her on a box

wow

rn theres one with the tail out and shes struggling to get him out

5. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Fry can still swim upwards and get eaten, I cant imagine a guppy taking 8 hours to just pop 3 fry. I dont keep guppys but I do keep other livebearers and they usually pop all the fry in a matter of 1-2 hours. Is she a first timer?

6. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

You'll generally see most of them drop the same day but I do have a few females that will drop small batches of fry (5 to 8) about halfway between their expected delivery time. A few fry the day after the main drop is not rare at all.

7. lvides Initiate Member

its not her first time, second, the first time she had only 2

8. goplecos Well Known Member Member

The amazing thing about livebearers is that they can hold up to 3 batches of babies at once so she might have run out of room and that might be all for a few months. If this is her first birth that might be it.

* first, second, or third

9. lvides Initiate Member

oh, awesome, what i dont like its that she is struggling more than what she did last time in giving birth

wow, all of the sudden i came to check on her, she now has about 20 babies