Guppy Behaviour

1. Hill Dweller

Hill Dweller Well Known Member Member

Hi there. I have a male guppy in a 10 gallon with 10 ember tetras. There was a second male but they were chasing and shredding each other's tails so I had to take one back to the LFS.

Lately I've noticed the remaining guppy spends some periods of time frantically swimming up and down the glass. He ignores the embers and they ignore him. Water is all good, the slightest hint over 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and about 2 nitrate. Temp 26 Celsius.

So I'm wondering if this is normal guppy behaviour (I know they are fairly busy little guys), or if he feels stressed as the only guppy?

Video at

Any advice from guppy legends appreciated :)

2. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

I havents had guppies since i was a kid but glass surfing can sometimes be a sign of stress in many fish. I would keep an eye on the water

3. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

It's a very small tank and I would take that as repetitive boredom behavior - pacing in the cage. He is a social creature, and wild guppies live in large groups, constantly sorting out rank and doing what guppies live to do. On their own or in male only groups (females are calm on their own) they tend to get a little weird.

4. OP
    OP
    Hill Dweller

Thanks for the input. He has now settled down and seems more normal again, dinner probably helped haha, but I have been noticing these periods of crazy activity lately. I don't have room or time to deal with fry, so I don't want to put females in with him. I guess I will keep watching for now.

If they were chasing when there was 2, would a group of 3 or 4 have been better, or just as chasey?

Any more will probably be overstocked so I couldn't go higher than that I reckon.

5. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

I personally dont really like keeping social fish schoaling or schooling in smaller tanks as it gives me a headache trying to keep rhem happy. But saying that i personally would rather overstock and over filter then leaving fish on there own if a larger group will make the fish more "happy". So saying that as long as tour water parameters are good i would add a few more if tour worried about him being lonely.

6. OP
    OP
    Hill Dweller

I will think on it some more and watch for a little while if it gets any worse. Appreciate the perspective:)