Guppy Behavior

Faith Bennett

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello all, this isn’t so much a question as much as an observation. I have 2 male guppies and 2 female guppies, and the males get along fine with each other and with the females. no aggression, no chasing, nothing. Which is weird because I heard that you must have an additional female for every male or they will “chase the females to death”. It isn’t a concern, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing

Attachments

Inno

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They are pretty! Do you have the females in the breeder box? They do not look anywhere near being ready to release fry.

Usually the females are bigger than the males, I bet a big female would get them going.

Inno

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah that is a better pic for sure. The stomachs will get a box square look when the fry are about to come. I wouldnt be concerned with the males not chasing the females. You will soon have a large group. Just try not to stress the mommas by keeping them in the box to long.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The peace likely won't last forever

Breeder boxes are very stressful for females, and can cause them to hold their fry or abort them. I'd take her out and let her give birth in the main tank. You can catch the fry and move them to their own tank.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Faith Bennett said:
Hello all, this isn’t so much a question as much as an observation. I have 2 male guppies and 2 female guppies, and the males get along fine with each other and with the females. no aggression, no chasing, nothing. Which is weird because I heard that you must have an additional female for every male or they will “chase the females to death”. It isn’t a concern, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing
Well, it's a generalization that people say that you need a ratio of 1:2 or 1:3 (m:f) when it comes to livebearers. But in a lot cases you can keep those at a ratio of 1:1 (m:f) as well without causing any problems. Overhere at my place a lot of livebearers are almost at a ratio of 1:1. This goes for a lot of guppies overhere as well. And I'm keeping several kinds of livebearers ever since the 1970's. For sure, a certain number of those males will chase females hoping to mate. But that depends on the individual fish if that behavior will show up or not. And the available space and/or hiding spaces in the tank can be of influence on the behavior.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom