Guppy Behavior

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Mike1995, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

I have a trio of blue and orange delta guppies. (1 male 2 female). They just dropped fry. The male is sitting on a big leaf and kinda just hangs out there a lot. He eats fine. But is it normal for him to be hanging out on the plant's? He is a kinda small still, and sometimes i notice his long tail makes swimming tough on him. Idk. The females are usually pretty active.

2. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Guppies are generally on the move 90% of the time. If he was completely happy and healthy he would be chasing the ladies when he isn't eating. I assume your tank parameters are good? Do you have adequate water hardness? They can usually thrive in all but the softest of water.

3. OP
    OP
    Mike1995

Yes my tank parameters are really good. Ammonia 0ppm nitrites 0ppm and nitrates are like 10-15 ppm. Idk, all my other guppies in this tank and others do move all the time. He just seems like the only one who sits around.

4. OP
    OP
    Mike1995

I'm honestly not sure how to measure hardness. How do I do that? None of my other fish have any issues.

5. O

The current stocks are problematic unfortunately. Just watch for signs of trouble.

6. O

KH/GH test kit. Where do you live approximately?

7. OP
    OP
    Mike1995

Pennsylvania

8. O

No replacement for a test but a real good chance you are fine.

9. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

What size tank? Is he straight or does he bend under the weight of his tail? What filtration do you have? Can you post a picture?

10. G

Guppyholic New Member Member

- small and kinda thin
    - body curving down as if his tail is heavy
    - hard time swimming as if his tail is a burden
    - less active

These are usually signs of aged male guppies. If he's not sick, he must be pretty old already. We'd like to hear any updates from you! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice