Guppy Behaving Odd, Not Sure If Sick Or Injured

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Akins, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Akins

AkinsNew MemberMember

Since this morning one of my guppies hasn’t quite been himself. He’s swimming around slower than usual, and was hiding in the rock instead of chillin’ with the dudes. I noticed him swim out then back in slowly. He seemed uninterested and not really well. When he notices me, he seems more normal; swims up for food and attention. (But still swimming not quite right)
    When I leave he kind of meanders around. Usually he’s got more energy. On the other hand, I did catch him suddenly jolt forward once. Once also he did this kind of upside down turn as he was swimming down.
    In addition, I noticed it looks like he’s been bumped or hunched back. I don’t think it’s been so pronounced before, but I could be just paying more attention to it now that he seems off.

I did treat the tank for ich about 2 weeks ago because a fish I thought was clean looked like he had a spot. But that was preemptive. He was fine since then to this morning.

The other fish are doing good.

Any insight or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Aquarium Size: 20 gallon cycled (about 7 months)
    Aquarium Type: Freshwater Planted Tank
    Fish: 5 Guppies, 3 Corydoras

Freshwater Master Test Kit (api)
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0
    Temperature: 78
    pH: 7.4
    (Sorry the images are kind of whatever, I tried.)

Attached Files:

2. Jim2195

Jim2195Valued MemberMember

Maybe it’s lethargic. I mean I don’t know... I remember having fish that exhibited behavior similar to what you’re describing. These fish I had would swim like normal most of the time but would suddenly flash sideways or something. Or they would jerk their body as if they’re itching.

3. OP
    OP
    Akins

AkinsNew MemberMember

We’re your fish okay after that?

I’m worried poor Gibbs may be constipated and damage his swim bladder. Tried the pea. He’s just swimming so odd. It looked like it was getting worse. Then suddenly it’s not.

4. Jim2195

Jim2195Valued MemberMember

The fish got better after parasite medicine, there were a few that didn’t make it but majority were fine.

5. OP
    OP
    Akins

AkinsNew MemberMember

I see, hopefully he’ll be okay long enough for me to try that. I’ll get him some meds in the morning and see if it does anything.

6. OP
    OP
    Akins

AkinsNew MemberMember

He’s still behaving slow and swimming a bit loopy. As stated, i’m Looking into medication for possible parasites but if anyone has any other ideas or experience i’d be grateful. I’m a bit reluctant to medicate without being certain, but I don’t want Gibbs to die either. Thanks.