Guppy Babies!

  • Thread starter

Bexiboo

Valued Member
Messages
172
Reaction score
104
Points
63
I’m not sure if I didn’t notice right away or if she just started giving birth now. The male in with her was chasing her awfully and then I noticed one little baby. I had counted only two before I turned the lights off. Of course I remove the male so it’s just momma & babies in there. Is this fry likely a newborn?
3946212B-ED0F-4322-B54A-E7A47EE5642B.jpeg

E0FEC91E-E5B7-4325-986C-C48A6E73F5DE.jpeg
I’m hoping to wake up to more!
 

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Messages
8,559
Reaction score
7,163
Points
573
Experience
Just started
Looks pretty new to me. What size tank are they in? Better off leaving everyone in the same tank. you can be easily overrun with guppy fry unless you have a lot of tanks in which case congrats on the fry. and good luck!!
 
  • Thread starter

Bexiboo

Valued Member
Messages
172
Reaction score
104
Points
63
kallililly1973 said:
Looks pretty new to me. What size tank are they in? Better off leaving everyone in the same tank. you can be easily overrun with guppy fry unless you have a lot of tanks in which case congrats on the fry. and good luck!!
Yay, new baby!

They’re in a 10 gallon guppy-only tank (well 2 snails as well). I forgot to mention I turned off the more powerful filter so I just have two sponges running. It’s well planted as well.

I don’t mind separating as I already have other groups of guppies spread out into 2 other tanks (2 breeding groups in a divided tank, & female-only virgins in the other tank) - got over 130 gallons total. But I’m gonna leave Momma in there until I know she’s done doing her thing. Or at least until I can guess that she has finished!
 

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Messages
1,396
Reaction score
981
Points
123
Experience
3 years
Glad your having fun with breeding guppies! I tried that once when I was a beginner and ended up having dead guppies and an aggressive dwarf gourami (TIP: NEVER PUT A DWARF GOURAMI WITH GUPPIES)! Glad your having more success than I did! Here’s a pic of my surviving guppy babies
image.jpg
 
  • Thread starter

Bexiboo

Valued Member
Messages
172
Reaction score
104
Points
63
jkkgron2 said:
Glad your having fun with breeding guppies! I tried that once when I was a beginner and ended up having dead guppies and an aggressive dwarf gourami (TIP: NEVER PUT A DWARF GOURAMI WITH GUPPIES)! Glad your having more success than I did! Here’s a pic of my surviving guppy babies
.jpg
The surviving babies are so cute!! I hope my pair makes it :D

Today I just paired off a virgin gal with a handsome lad so it’s funny these babies were born the same day.

Woke up to more! 12 were visible. I AM THRILLED!!! Momma seemed done. I put her in a breeder box, just for while I’m at work. That way if she is still giving birth they can swim away and she will remain in the box until I could get home at the end of my shift and move her into a different tank.

I’m so excited to have a dozen, or more. The tank is heavily planted so I say more because some could be hiding. I know exactly who both the parents are - I was very careful about who goes in which tank. The father is absolutely brilliant, my best male, so I cannot wait to see what the babies look like as they get bigger! They’re Blue Tuxedo guppies sold & bred by a private breeder, but the father has some gorgeous unusual coloring (must’ve been from the grandparents I’m guessing? They were bought as two month old fry unsexed and when I sent the breeder a photo of him grown-up she was surprised by his color!)

2FE9FDFA-1C04-4DC2-8E3E-4F181ADB37D3.jpeg
Momma

34B334D9-7C03-4318-8077-EB0887D80454.jpeg FAE09D4D-4D90-4F0B-9100-D30BFD0B8DC8.jpeg
Daddy (much prettier than the pictures show)
 

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Messages
1,297
Reaction score
1,139
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
I usually see how many fry I can count and double the number. It's usually pretty accurate.

You need to do the math to have any plan longer than a month. I usually breed trios, and my females usually drop between 30 and 50 fry a month. That means 60 to 100 fry every month from one set of breeders. You need two tanks per drop of fry. Four tanks for two drops of fry, etc. If you're trying to establish a line breeding program you'll need a lot more tanks. Otherwise you'll end up relying on overcrowding to control the population.
 
  • Thread starter

Bexiboo

Valued Member
Messages
172
Reaction score
104
Points
63
GuppyDazzle said:
I usually see how many fry I can count and double the number. It's usually pretty accurate.

You need to do the math to have any plan longer than a month. I usually breed trios, and my females usually drop between 30 and 50 fry a month. That means 60 to 100 fry every month from one set of breeders. You need two tanks per drop of fry. Four tanks for two drops of fry, etc. If you're trying to establish a line breeding program you'll need a lot more tanks. Otherwise you'll end up relying on overcrowding to control the population.
I wish everyone got this advice early! So many newbie breeders I read about seem to try doing it in one tank, it’s madness. I’m definitely not doing that. Once I get my next shopping trip done I’ll be at 10 tanks (almost 200g’s) and only 3 of those are dedicated to other kinds of fish.

Wow doubled would be 28 - that’s crazy! I wish! Since it’s her first birth I wouldn’t mind 14. Go easy on that poor girl, haha! But finding more fry hiding in the plants would be incredible! They certainly have spots to disappear to so I wouldn’t put it past them to be in there (nursery is a prettily planted 10 gallon with lots of floating places to hide; & no adults just fry & a couple snails) but I really searched & sat in front of the tank a long while.

I’ve planned to give the gups plenty of room to do this well. I definitely don’t want them overpopulated (they’re in well decorated tanks, between 10-29 gallon’s) or struggling in any way (closely monitoring water parameters, feeding frozen & live foods, chubbing up babies with 4-6 feedings a day & also parents a little before/after mating) Plus I like the spare space for same-sex adult colonies so breeding isn’t continuous but very controlled instead, as right now Momma-Marshmallow is resting up with some gal pals (although I know she might be storing sperm, so she’s getting plenty of girls-only recovery time & extra feedings) I have bred in 1:1 pairs rather than trios because my males are different to each other and I aim to breed for either one of two of the types of finnage between them so I want to know who’s the daddy for sure (but I might just be gaga over their cuteness) & to focus on one fry group at a time rather than two simultaneously. I only just paired off my second duo (Little Boy Blue this time!) so while they’re fertilizing & ‘getting friendly’ I can focus on raising these fry. Then I won’t do more until after letting time elapse between guppy for any follow-up clutches of fry. No more guppy breeding until spring then. My game plan is set it’s just up to nature & time to take its course if I’m lucky.

Is a very low count unusual on the first pregnancy? I had my second birth and she only gave birth to six. Same daddy (focusing on his genes).

I’ve also learned there were none hidden from the prior group. The 14 group has dropped down to 13. That was the only loss and I don’t suppose it’s a bad mortality rate to lose just one (it’s been 2 weeks). They’re so cute and much bigger now!
 

jkkgron2

Well Known Member
Messages
1,396
Reaction score
981
Points
123
Experience
3 years
Bexiboo said:
Is a very low count unusual on the first pregnancy? I had my second birth and she only gave birth to six. Same daddy (focusing on his genes).

I’ve also learned there were none hidden from the prior group. The 14 group has dropped down to 13. That was the only loss and I don’t suppose it’s a bad mortality rate to lose just one (it’s been 2 weeks). They’re so cute and much bigger now!
I don’t know if it’s normal but my guppies only had eight the first time they bred, also congrats on only having one loss so far! I had about 4 dead guppies in two weeks so you definitely are doing it right
 

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Messages
1,297
Reaction score
1,139
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
Bexiboo said:
Is a very low count unusual on the first pregnancy? I had my second birth and she only gave birth to six. Same daddy (focusing on his genes).
Many breeders disregard the first drop of a female because they do tend to be smaller than future drops. One thing I learned the hard way is you can only keep a certain number of drops of fry or your fish room will quickly become clogged up. I currently take the first two drops of fry from a breeding setup, but I'm considering waiting for the second drop to add the brood to my breeding program.
 

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Messages
1,678
Reaction score
1,580
Points
248
Experience
More than 10 years
Bexiboo said:
Is a very low count unusual on the first pregnancy? I had my second birth and she only gave birth to six. Same daddy (focusing on his genes).
Quite normal for the first batch...
 

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Messages
1,268
Reaction score
1,426
Points
183
Experience
More than 10 years
Bexiboo said:
I wish everyone got this advice early! So many newbie breeders I read about seem to try doing it in one tank, it’s madness. I’m definitely not doing that. Once I get my next shopping trip done I’ll be at 10 tanks (almost 200g’s) and only 3 of those are dedicated to other kinds of fish.

Wow doubled would be 28 - that’s crazy! I wish! Since it’s her first birth I wouldn’t mind 14. Go easy on that poor girl, haha! But finding more fry hiding in the plants would be incredible! They certainly have spots to disappear to so I wouldn’t put it past them to be in there (nursery is a prettily planted 10 gallon with lots of floating places to hide; & no adults just fry & a couple snails) but I really searched & sat in front of the tank a long while.

I’ve planned to give the gups plenty of room to do this well. I definitely don’t want them overpopulated (they’re in well decorated tanks, between 10-29 gallon’s) or struggling in any way (closely monitoring water parameters, feeding frozen & live foods, chubbing up babies with 4-6 feedings a day & also parents a little before/after mating) Plus I like the spare space for same-sex adult colonies so breeding isn’t continuous but very controlled instead, as right now Momma-Marshmallow is resting up with some gal pals (although I know she might be storing sperm, so she’s getting plenty of girls-only recovery time & extra feedings) I have bred in 1:1 pairs rather than trios because my males are different to each other and I aim to breed for either one of two of the types of finnage between them so I want to know who’s the daddy for sure (but I might just be gaga over their cuteness) & to focus on one fry group at a time rather than two simultaneously. I only just paired off my second duo (Little Boy Blue this time!) so while they’re fertilizing & ‘getting friendly’ I can focus on raising these fry. Then I won’t do more until after letting time elapse between guppy for any follow-up clutches of fry. No more guppy breeding until spring then. My game plan is set it’s just up to nature & time to take its course if I’m lucky.
Well done!:)
 
  • Thread starter

Bexiboo

Valued Member
Messages
172
Reaction score
104
Points
63
I know to expect another birth since they can store sperm but I just thought of something. Is the incubation period the same or is it shortened because the sperm was already been in the body for a period of time? My gal that gave birth first is still a little over a week away from being 30 days but looks ready to pop. Maybe she’s just big but I thought I would ask!
 

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Messages
1,678
Reaction score
1,580
Points
248
Experience
More than 10 years
Bexiboo said:
I know to expect another birth since they can store sperm but I just thought of something. Is the incubation period the same or is it shortened because the sperm was already been in the body for a period of time? My gal that gave birth first is still a little over a week away from being 30 days but looks ready to pop. Maybe she’s just big but I thought I would ask!
That really depends...
The gestation period for a guppy is an average of 3-4 weeks. Sometimes even a bit longer up to 6 weeks. So, no real exact answer to give. There are even livebearers that have a gestation period of 8 weeks. But that's with a certain amount of specific wild livebearers.
 
  • Thread starter

Bexiboo

Valued Member
Messages
172
Reaction score
104
Points
63
They are so grown up now!

6DCC6685-A2CC-4272-84CB-2AF0DA473388.jpeg
 

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Messages
1,297
Reaction score
1,139
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
Time to start separating males and females.
 
  • Thread starter

Bexiboo

Valued Member
Messages
172
Reaction score
104
Points
63
GuppyDazzle said:
Time to start separating males and females.
I thought that was done at six weeks old?
 

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Messages
1,297
Reaction score
1,139
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
Bexiboo said:
I thought that was done at six weeks old?
Four to six weeks is the rule of thumb. I start separating as soon as their sex becomes visible, which might be three weeks, might be five weeks. Fry grow at different rates.

I could see a female with a gravid spot. I pull the females because I can see them better than the males. I end up with a tank I know is all females, and a tank of males that might have some late-blooming females. If a female hasn't been removed by two months old, I pull them out because they could be hit around that time.
 
  • Thread starter

Bexiboo

Valued Member
Messages
172
Reaction score
104
Points
63
GuppyDazzle said:
Four to six weeks is the rule of thumb. I start separating as soon as their sex becomes visible, which might be three weeks, might be five weeks. Fry grow at different rates.

I could see a female with a gravid spot. I pull the females because I can see them better than the males. I end up with a tank I know is all females, and a tank of males that might have some late-blooming females. If a female hasn't been removed by two months old, I pull them out because they could be hit around that time.
They’ll hit 4 weeks tomorrow so that’s good to know, thank you! I’ll probably remove the ladies within a week then. Just got to do a thorough cleaning of another tank before I add them. I’ll keep the males on the first floor where they’re easier to observe.
 

hennmann

New Member
Messages
49
Reaction score
13
Points
33
Experience
More than 10 years
I bought a bag of Cherry shrimp at our club auction and eeeeeeek! There were guppy fry in the bag! Now I have the fry in a 10 gallon sitting beside a window deciding where to put them?? Duckweed fish lol
 
  • Thread starter

Bexiboo

Valued Member
Messages
172
Reaction score
104
Points
63
Lucky duck!! That’s so cool to get free fry! I paid like $35 to get mine from a breeder, free would’ve been awesome.

2AB73A66-2778-4227-BDEB-B4A3DB48115F.jpeg

The babies are ready for their first Christmas!!

Also added a new powdered black worm feed to their diet that they go crazy for.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom