Guppy Babies? Important

1. smaurer3076

smaurer3076 Valued Member Member

Is my guppy about to give birth or should I be worried. She seemed to be showing signs of getting ready to give birth but her abdomen seems really red. This is my first go with guppies so I'm very new at this all. She's in a fry cage right now and I have attached a picture of her. 2124c605c803a428ffe733b0e66db4cf.jpg

2. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello,

Is she able to swim freely? From the photo it looks like she's stuck.

3. OP
    OP
    smaurer3076

66aa28fbdcba5e58eb6be9a58592818d.jpg

Yeah, she can swim freely. The slots on the fry divider are big enough for her tail to slip through but she's moved around a little bit in the few hours I've been home.

4. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

She doesn't look that large, but younger guppies typically have less fry. I wouldn't use a breeder box though, it could be stressing her out and causing her to hold or abort fry.

5. Donnerjay

Her abdomen does appear red in the first photo. But her fins are extended, and other than that she appears healthy. And she is pregnant.

First thing I would do is check the water parameters: ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Giving birth is stressful, and you want the water as pristine as possible for her.

Then, let nature take its course. In my experience, platies often give birth at nighttime. Guppies may be similar although I'm not positive.

Keep an eye on her. If she hasn't started dropping fry by the morning, you may wish to release her as she may not be *quite* ready.

Knowledgeable guppy owners, chime in!

6. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Just throw some plants and moss into the tank if you want to save the fry and let her out to have them. They will swim to safety and hide. It's survival of the fittest. If you keep her in the breeder box it is likely she will lose them all anyway and she's pretty big but I don't think she looks big enough or squared off enough at this point to say she is about to give birth.

7. OP
    OP
    smaurer3076

55f4b0beeb43806ad1aeaab42ece7e64.jpg

This is taking a wild guess but, I'm guessing this is not normal?

8. Donnerjay

Oh no, it's not normal. Rats. I was hoping her uterus was okay but it looks like she's got an infection, or fry stuck in the opening, or some other anatomical problem with the birth canal.

I'm sorry.

I don't know what will help her now. Hoping others may have insight and hoping for the best.

9. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

I think it might be stress of the box along with something else

Thinking way out of the box here. I saw on youtube some people cut their fish open when it died from pregnancy issues. I'm not saying your fish is defo going to die, but if she does and you want the fry, that could work.

Look on youtube

Or you know...don't

It's just a thought so the fry don't go to waste....Don't troll me/hate on me

10. Donnerjay

11. ashark8me

ashark8me Valued Member Member

likely far too late to try any emergency cutting the mother open. Sorry :(

That looks very red. Looks like maybe an infection.

12. OP
    OP
    smaurer3076

So I guess she's kind of a lost cause now?

As of now, I am doing a 50% w/c to see if that helps.

13. m

She isn't dead yet is she?

I'm saying if she dies then once she's dead do it to save the fry

14. OP
    OP
    smaurer3076

She's struggling but I'm more worried about her than the fry.

15. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

I would definitely let her out if she swims at all. Putting a pregnant guppy in a breeder box causes a lot of stress because they can't see it as it's clear and they can't get to a hiding spot to drop the fry so they lose their minds being afraid they will be eaten while trying to give birth. Life is scary when you're a guppy.

It almost looks like she is hemorrhaging.

16. Donnerjay

That's the best course of action right now.

17. m

Is she still on her side?

18. OP
    OP
    smaurer3076

Is this going to kill her?

661990fe40ec2c317cbccfa0949f5507.jpg

I have let her out of the fry cage and she's breathing really hard. I'm worried that my other fish will hurt her...

19. Donnerjay

I'm sad to say that it does not look good.

You are doing everything in your power to help her.

20. OP
    OP
    smaurer3076

I have a betta in a 10 gallon that is very peaceful and I can move him to my 75 and put her in that tank? Or would that stress her to death?