Guppy Babies

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Calum98, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Calum98

Calum98Valued MemberMember

First tank I've I've managed to successfully save 15 baby guppies! Middle of doing water change and go over the the guppy tank and all I see are little tadpoles, took a moment to realise that it was baby guppies,

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. ShaunBrowne

ShaunBrowneValued MemberMember

Wow they tiny!

3. OP
    OP
    Calum98

I know I thought they were tadpoles for some reason it didn't register at first

4. ShaunBrowne

Lol my guppie female is pregnant so I guess I should watch my water change next time

5. OP
    OP
    Calum98

Good luck! Best to keep the female in her own tank otherwise all your fry will be eaten! And the males will harass her so she may end up miscarrying

6. ShaunBrowne

I have a smaller maybe 3 gallon tank too, will that help?

7. OP
    OP
    Calum98

Is that a spare tank or is anything in it?

8. ShaunBrowne

A spare tank

9. OP
    OP
    Calum98

Yeah having the pregnant one in there should be better for her, I left mine without gravel and a few decorations as it is easier to keep clean. Just make sure it has a heater and filter and if its not cycled do plenty of water changes. Ive had three pregant guppies in that 54 Litre tank and been doing 50% water changes daily. First one gave birth today so the next one should be soon.

10. ShaunBrowne

I think I should take my neons back to the LFS cause its only a 7 gallon..
    From what Im finding out is guppies breed fast

Well just been advised to return the female as she will overstock my tank

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2016
  11. OP
    OP
    Calum98

They breed really quickly but you could always keep the baby guppies in your spare tank and sell them or give them to the pet shop

12. ShaunBrowne

So that 3 gallon won't be too small for all of them?If a 7 gallon is too small for 3 adults

13. OP
    OP
    Calum98

It would be alright whole they were still young, but after a couple months you'd need to sell them or give them away

14. ShaunBrowne

I see! Good to know

Good luck with your other pregnant females, hope you get many more fry lol

Are your plants real?

15. OP
    OP
    Calum98

In the guppy tank I have Java Moss amd amazon FrogBits but everything else is fake.
    and in my main tank all the plants are real including the wood. Only the ornament furthest right is fake
    Here's a picture of guppy tank
    And heres main tank

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  16. ShaunBrowne

I like the main tank! Nice!

17. OP
    OP
    Calum98

Thank you!

18. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

If you let nature run its course you will have Guppies upon Guppies... I started with three females three males and now have over 100 of them. They just keep breeding. I have them Spaced out in 6 tanks from 5 g to 55 g...
    No one around here will take them in, I am stuck with them... I have separated the boys from the girls now I am waiting for the girls to stop having babies and I plan to try some selective breeding to get the colors in a male that I want... Good luck with them, they really are the rabbits of the fish world

19. Lady Monster

Lady MonsterWell Known MemberMember

I picked up 3 pregnant females back in May and they are the only molly in the tank. Still popping out fry! They hold enough sperm to last a few pregnancies. When I realized my fry weren't getting eaten by the adults I netted as many as i could and i got rid of them. I hope i don't get too much lecture for it but i will not let fry accumulate and take over my tank!

If you have room and time to dedicate to another tank(s) for the fry, then go for it. Lfs don't want fry but if you raise the fish for a couple months you could probably give them for store credit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice