Guppy ate (kind of) sticky cory egg

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
So last night, my corys were getting busy, and my guppy says "Oooh! Glass Snacks!" She ate who knows how many, but then I see a full egg stuck in her mouth and a partial egg in there too. Her mouth is stuck open, and she looks gasping. I didn't get any pictures, I acted. I grabbed a net, and pulled her just enough out of the water to be able to touch her, without her swimming, but still in water, I just barely touched the egg and it stuck to my finger. THANKFULLY. The other egg 'shell' was still in there but she seemed unbothered by that one. Today the all traces of last night on her lip are gone, and she is eating normally.

My question is, will this actually cause a fish to choke? Did I over react? I'm sure the eggs will be a temptation as soon as they are laid again, and those things are seriously sticky.

Best Answer - View Ghelfaire's answer

YellowGuppy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I bought Hikari Crab Cuisine to feed my shrimp, but it's happened more than once that a guppy has lodged one in their throat and demonstrated similar behavior. I freaked out the first time, but I think since then I've gotten used to it happening. I'll likely just either crush them or stop feeding that food.

Either way, though, I think it's unlikely that a guppy would "choke" on a cory egg - but do keep a close eye on them when you notice corys spawning. If it happens to a point that damage is done, you may want to consider picking one species to keep in that tank, and rehoming the other.

OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
Yeah it was quite a shock, and then a bit funny. But then I got to thinking that i usually just see pieces of the eggs on the glass, so someone ate them.

It was a moment for sure. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced anything similar. :)

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
u made a good choice that's a risk when keeping two types of fish in the same tank if u want to breed corys its best to do that in a tank on there own

New Threads