Guppy are dying

Scythwolf

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
This is my first post as a new user.
So... We got an aquarium some weeks ago. We took a long time to set the water up and then got our first fish in: catfishes for cleaning. After that we got some plants in some granular stones (which is the floor) and introduced the fish to the aquarium (Guppy, incandescent tetra, copper tetra). Everything was all right, at least for two weeks. After that the first Guppy died (female) with no apparent reason. I looked everywhere for symptoms... but there were non. We thought that one fish can die for whatever reasons. But today we found a male and a female dead on the ground. I made a picture and attached it to this post (as well as another picture from the tank). But there are no white spots (or of any other color), no worms, and so on.

My water values are allways good or fine at least (according to my table I have).
NO3: 0
NO2: 0
GH: 8
KH: 6
pH: 7
Cl3: 0

We feed them once a day, sometimes more often. The food is usually gone pretty fast with Guppys eating the most.

Also it is suspicious it only affects the Guppy. Any hint is very appreciated

Attachments

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's not uncommon for that to happen with guppies. It seems like some of the guppies being sold have weak genetics. I assume they came from a store? You might try getting some from a local breeder.

Also, welcome to the forum.

OP
S

Scythwolf

Reaction score
Thanks for welcoming me here :)

Yes, we got them from a store. Read about the weakness of bought guppys already but wouldn't have thought that it would lead to them dying (so fast?!). Can you give me a hint how to find someone who is breeding them? Should we get Platy if we have no breeder around?

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's difficult to know how to advise you without knowing your general location, but I know that there are Facebook groups for local fish people. That might be a good place to start.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
None of those numbers were ammonia. Did you do a fishless cycle? Can we have those numbers? It appears you have no nitrates, which means to me that you probably aren’t cycled.

I do agree lots of people including myself have found guppies to have poor genetics. They very much do just die that quickly because the stress of being moved to the store then netted and moved to your home is too much for them.

Did you acclimate them? By this I mean let the bag sit in the water with them in it for a while to temp match, and then add some tank water to the bag a few drops at a time to mix it.

NEVER add store water to the tank, hold the bag over a bucket and use a net to catch them while you dump it out.

I don’t know what you know so I’m trying to cover all the basics :)

OP
S

Scythwolf

Reaction score
Hello!
Thanks for the help so far.
No, I did not do a fishless cycle (and as a beginner I have to read what it is and what it does. WIll google it, thanks :) )
But yes, I did acclimate them very well over I believe 45 minuites and followed the instructions on the bag very carefully (adding tank water after some time, put fish in after the given time, empty the bag into the sink).

I also went yesterday during the evening into a pet shot with a huge aquaristic section. Now they told me that the tetra and guppy are hard to combine since they require a different water hardness and I would need to use salt to increase that value but if I'd do that the other fish are likely to die. So it is 3 Guppy vs all the other fish.
Since they seemed very competend I tend to believe them. Of course this annoys me quite a bit since in the first shop I went to... well... he said it's fine. I mean will NEVER go there again if they advised me that badly.
Do you believe as well it could be the hardness of the water?

Since we will drive away over the weekend - 2 days holiday following a weekend - I believe that I have to make up my mind until then. If the guppy are not dead I guess I have to kill them... as hard as it is to say... I mean... the alternative is that in the unattanded tank swim 3 dead fish for several days?!
I was also thinking about getting something like a 20l tank (if that is even a thing, seems rather small... no idea if there are even filters for that size) and place the guppy there in an appropriate water condition.

Again... thanks for any further inforamtion on that topic

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Scythwolf said:
Hello!
Thanks for the help so far.
No, I did not do a fishless cycle (and as a beginner I have to read what it is and what it does. WIll google it, thanks :) )
But yes, I did acclimate them very well over I believe 45 minuites and followed the instructions on the bag very carefully (adding tank water after some time, put fish in after the given time, empty the bag into the sink).

I also went yesterday during the evening into a pet shot with a huge aquaristic section. Now they told me that the tetra and guppy are hard to combine since they require a different water hardness and I would need to use salt to increase that value but if I'd do that the other fish are likely to die. So it is 3 Guppy vs all the other fish.
Since they seemed very competend I tend to believe them. Of course this annoys me quite a bit since in the first shop I went to... well... he said it's fine. I mean will NEVER go there again if they advised me that badly.
Do you believe as well it could be the hardness of the water?

Since we will drive away over the weekend - 2 days holiday following a weekend - I believe that I have to make up my mind until then. If the guppy are not dead I guess I have to kill them... as hard as it is to say... I mean... the alternative is that in the unattanded tank swim 3 dead fish for several days?!
I was also thinking about getting something like a 20l tank (if that is even a thing, seems rather small... no idea if there are even filters for that size) and place the guppy there in an appropriate water condition.

Again... thanks for any further inforamtion on that topic

There’s a lot to unpack here. First off, PLEASE don’t kill fish that are doing fine. Return them to the shop or rehome them if you don’t want guppies anymore.

They’re right, guppies are hard water fish, but salt doesn’t increase hardness, and they can adapt to most anything. What you should do is ask what the ph and hardness is of the shop you get the fish from (this is really for ANY fish) and if your tank is drastically different you know you will need a much longer adjustment period or you can increase your hardness. I wouldn’t attempt to change ph, just get fish that do well in your ph. To increase hardness (kh) you can add crushed coral in a bag in the hob filter. You only need to do this if your hardness is much lower than the shop’s hardness.

BEFORE we even bother messing with the hardness and getting involved in that, you NEED to cycle your tank. Keep the 3 guppies for now to cycle the tank with. There are a ton of threads on here explaining how to do a fish-in cycle. If you don’t want the guppies after the cycle finishes, you can rehome or return them for fish you do want.

OP
S

Scythwolf

Reaction score
Hi!
Thanks for your advice. Since I am new to aquariums I thought the shop wouldn't take fish in since the risk of an infection of their own tanks would be too high.
With asking the shop I got the fish from... well... here is where problems will start: They have no ph value written on their tanks. One of the differences I recognized when I had been in the other shop. They had a lot of infos written on their tanks.

I will read the infos about cycling. Though the matter with us beeing away for 3-4 days is rather urgent. Does it matter if the Guppy die in those 3 days? Could something happen to the other fish if the Guppies die and lay in there for some days?

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Scythwolf said:
Hi!
Thanks for your advice. Since I am new to aquariums I thought the shop wouldn't take fish in since the risk of an infection of their own tanks would be too high.
With asking the shop I got the fish from... well... here is where problems will start: They have no ph value written on their tanks. One of the differences I recognized when I had been in the other shop. They had a lot of infos written on their tanks.

I will read the infos about cycling. Though the matter with us beeing away for 3-4 days is rather urgent. Does it matter if the Guppy die in those 3 days? Could something happen to the other fish if the Guppies die and lay in there for some days?
Since the tank is uncycled the ammonia will build up pretty good in 3 days. Do a VERY LARGE like 80% water change right before you leave in the morning. Then do another VERY LARGE 80% water change asap when you return. I think you should be fine. Do not feed the fish two days before you leave, and then they won’t eat the 3 days you are gone. This will keep waste down. They’ll be fine not eating for 5 days, adults are fine for a week or more without food.

If you don’t think you can trust the fish store to know their ph at the very least, then I wouldn’t buy fish there.

OP
S

Scythwolf

Reaction score
Thank you very much! I will do as you suggest and do much more reading. I enjoy having an aquarium.
And yes... the missing compentence in the first shop I went to only leads to me only buying in the second store with the professional attitude.

New Threads