Guppy Aquarium Problem.. :(

1. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

So I have a 10 gallon aquarium, its cycled, ammonia 0.0-0.25 nitrite 0.0 nitrate 20 ppm.
    But I just got a breeding pair of guppies today and they are not doing well... Heavy breathing and not active at all. What is happening?

2. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

How did u introduce the fish 2 the tank? Do u have 0.25 ppm of ammonia?.. as that most likely is the source of the behaviour. R they at the surface of the water?

3. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Let them get settled in first, and turning off the aquarium light helps. Guppies also should not be in pairs (don't know who thought of the idea of a breeding pair, since males breed with any females), since the male will continuously harass that one female, causing it stress and it might die too. Its recommended to keep the guppies in a 1(m) : 2 (f) ratio.
    Did you acclimate them?

4. OP
    OP
    Mike1995

Yes I acclimated them.
    I floated the bag for like 30 minutes. One is at the top and the other is hiding in a plant

5. p

pckofwolfs New Member Member

Yeah, I would definitely get more females. As for the heavy breathing, when my guppies were acclimating they did the same. I shut the light off for about 2-3 days and when I did turn it on everything was good. Wish you the best of luck with them.

6. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

*Threads merged*

7. OP
    OP
    Mike1995

Ah alright! I'll just hope mine do the same. They weren't a cheap petsmart guppy either so they better live. :p

The male seems to enjoy sitting on one of the bigger plants leaves. Is that normal?

8. Supreme Sawk

Supreme Sawk Valued Member Member

It's the ammonia. 0.25ppm is enough to cause breathing problems, especially in less hardy specimens. I don't think it's the acclimation that's the issue; mine always act normally as soon as they are released.

9. OP
    OP
    Mike1995

What do I do to lower ammonia?

10. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Water change!

Fresh water is always the #1 treatment for a sick fish. If you have seachem Prime dose the tank after and recheck in 24hrs.

11. OP
    OP
    Mike1995

Okay. Did a water change. And I do have prime. I use it on all my tanks. But what I don't get is I have another guppy tank. Cycled. Crystal clear and as soon as I put those fish in, they were immediately swimming around and were fine. And my sink water is very low in ammonia. Almost none.

So maybe could it be the specific guppies in that tank?

12. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Do what you can to clean the water. Use Prime if you have it. That will solve .25 ammonia. And then as already mentioned turn out the lights and give them some peace. Resting on plants is pretty normal for a stressed out guppy. Hiding in plants gives them a feeling of security. It's tough but leave them alone as best you can.

13. Supreme Sawk

Yes, he may have been a weak individual. Also, did you mean to say 'specific guppy'?

If you have an ammonia reading then there's too much ammonia. Since you said at the start that you had 0.25ppm ammonia, there's a problem with the cycle. In a cycled tank the readings should be either 0ppm or the lowest reading on the test. The lowest reading on any test will not be 0.25ppm, it will be either 0ppm or something like <0.05ppm like mine. Like I said, there's a problem with the cycle.

As OnTheFly said, the prime will deal with the ammonia for now, however the root cause needs to be addressed.

Also, do you leave the light on all the time? Guppies need to rest too, turn their light off at night.

14. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Floating them isn't acclimating them. That just gets the bag of ammonia filled yucky water to the same temp as your (hopefully) cleaner tank. You have to dump some of the bag water down the drain and every 5 minutes add a little of your tank water for 20-30 minutes until they are swimming mostly in your water and less of theirs. Then you can net them out and add them to the tank. It's likely the shock of being dumped from one water quality level into a completely different one that is causing the stress.

15. Guppy Girls

Guppy Girls New Member Member

I drip acclimate mine. Even though i get feeder guppies. They almost always come in poorly. I get them for 20 cents at my local store. I rescue them and then release them into my pond area. I suggest next time if u dont have the proper resources to drip acclimate then do and half cup water change every 30 minutes for about 1 1/2 hours

16. Supreme Sawk

I would agree in most instances but as I said before I don't think this is an issue of acclimation. If it was acclimation issues then they would probably be exhibiting symptoms like inactivity and isolation, and they would most likely die pretty quickly. Breathing problems does not sound like an acclimation issue, and considering there is a 0.25ppm ammonia reading ammonia poisoning is imo far more likely. You know when you have an acclimation issue, onset is rapid and so is death in most cases.

17. Guppy Girls

Guppy Girls New Member Member

They also could possibly be in shock. Just give them time to get used to their new water and new surroundings.

18. Supreme Sawk

No, there's a 99% chance they aren't in shock, breathing problems for hours on end is not a symptom or sign of shock. Like I said before, if the fish is in shock it will be inactive and isolated almost as soon as you put it in, and in many cases they die very quickly. This isn't shock, this is ammonia poisoning.

19. Supreme Sawk

Upon reading the OP again, the OP does say that they are inactive, however the heavy breathing is a classic symptom of ammonia poisoning, and there's 0.25ppm in there. I take back my statement that there's a 99% chance that it's ammonia poisoning, but I still think it's the most likely cause.

20. OP
    OP
    Mike1995

Well. What I did is a water change. And I use media bags of seachem de*nitrate stuff and a little bit of zeolite. It seems to help keep things in order. They seem fine now. Haven't had the light on long. But I also discovered that the female guppy is probably gonna drop fry. She's huge lol. They did eat today twice so I guess that's good?