Guppy and Oxygenation

  • Thread starter

Guppyception

Valued Member
Messages
61
Reaction score
15
Points
18
Experience
1 year
If I have Guppies and fry at the top breathing fast could this be a lack of oxygenation, and will a powerhead/ circulation pump help/ fix this issue?
 

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Messages
1,298
Reaction score
1,460
Points
348
Experience
1 year
Guppyception said:
If I have Guppies and fry at the top breathing fast could this be a lack of oxygenation, and will a powerhead/ circulation pump help/ fix this issue?
Gasping can be caused by many things. What water volume is the tank? What are you water perimeters? Do you have a filter already?
 
  • Thread starter

Guppyception

Valued Member
Messages
61
Reaction score
15
Points
18
Experience
1 year
LittleBlueGuppy said:
Gasping can be caused by many things. What water volume is the tank? What are you water perimeters? Do you have a filter already?
My tank is a 20 regular with 0 ammonia and nitrites with about 6 ppm nitrates. I have two HOB filters but there is not as much surface agitation as i would hope.
 

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Messages
1,298
Reaction score
1,460
Points
348
Experience
1 year
20 gallon, correct? It could be low oxygen, an air stone would help with that. how many gallons are the HOBs rated for? What kinds are they? When was the last time the impellers where cleaned? Do they run smooth?
 
  • Thread starter

Guppyception

Valued Member
Messages
61
Reaction score
15
Points
18
Experience
1 year
LittleBlueGuppy said:
20 gallon, correct? It could be low oxygen, an air stone would help with that. how many gallons are the HOBs rated for? What kinds are they? When was the last time the impellers where cleaned? Do they run smooth?
One is rated for a ten and the other a twenty. The intakes are always cleaned and they run incredibly smooth they just don't disrupt enough water. They are both made by aqeuon
 

CardShark

Valued Member
Messages
81
Reaction score
32
Points
53
Experience
3 years
If oxygenation is the issue, an air pump with air stone will help more than a powerhead.

The bubbles rising and breaking at the surface allows more gas exchange.

How many guppies do you have in this tank? Any plants?
 
  • Thread starter

Guppyception

Valued Member
Messages
61
Reaction score
15
Points
18
Experience
1 year

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Messages
1,298
Reaction score
1,460
Points
348
Experience
1 year
If you have 2 filters (even small ones) and an air bubbler (even with low output), they shouldn’t be gasping. I would recommend doing daily-every other day water changes until your sure the cause of this, just to be safe. Better safe then sorry.

Have you used any glues or soaps on anything on tank decor before? Did you glue down any of the plants?
 
  • Thread starter

Guppyception

Valued Member
Messages
61
Reaction score
15
Points
18
Experience
1 year
LittleBlueGuppy said:
If you have 2 filters (even small ones) and an air bubbler (even with low output), they shouldn’t be gasping. I would recommend doing daily-every other day water changes until your sure the cause of this, just to be safe. Better safe then sorry.

Have you used any glues or soaps on anything on tank decor before? Did you glue down any of the plants?
No glues nothing I still got a circulation pump on sale anyway to try it why not at least I’ll get my answer I do water changes twice a week

LittleBlueGuppy said:
If you have 2 filters (even small ones) and an air bubbler (even with low output), they shouldn’t be gasping. I would recommend doing daily-every other day water changes until your sure the cause of this, just to be safe. Better safe then sorry.

Have you used any glues or soaps on anything on tank decor before? Did you glue down any of the plants?
I do water tests too there is always what seems to be a minute amount of ammonia like below .25 but it’s hardly recognizable in the test kit
 

CardShark

Valued Member
Messages
81
Reaction score
32
Points
53
Experience
3 years
Guppyception said:
Java Fern, Wisteria, Hornwort, Amazon Sword, and a moss ball. I have Over 20 fry and 4 adolescents and two adults, yes i am aware there is overstocking

i also do have a small airator that bubbles but its not much
Not sure how much of each you have but it seems like you have a pretty well planted 20 gallon.

Are your guppies gasping for air in the mornings and it goes away during the day?

Plants take up carbon dioxide during the day and produce lots of oxygen while photosynthesizing.
At night, however, when there is no light, they actually consume some oxygen.
 

CardShark

Valued Member
Messages
81
Reaction score
32
Points
53
Experience
3 years
Guppyception said:
No glues nothing I still got a circulation pump on sale anyway to try it why not at least I’ll get my answer I do water changes twice a week

I do water tests too there is always what seems to be a minute amount of ammonia like below .25 but it’s hardly recognizable in the test kit
You should probably do more frequent water changes till you sort out what's happening.

Not sure where you live but you should test the water you are putting in to make sure there is nothing funny going on there.
The water parameters of different parts of the country vary wildly.
 

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Messages
1,298
Reaction score
1,460
Points
348
Experience
1 year
Guppyception said:
No glues nothing I still got a circulation pump on sale anyway to try it why not at least I’ll get my answer I do water changes twice a week



I do water tests too there is always what seems to be a minute amount of ammonia like below .25 but it’s hardly recognizable in the test kit
Most of the api test kits read almost .25 even when it’s zero, mine is the same way, a lot of members here have the same thing. I’ll bet you it’s zero.
 
  • Thread starter

Guppyception

Valued Member
Messages
61
Reaction score
15
Points
18
Experience
1 year
CardShark said:
Not sure how much of each you have but it seems like you have a pretty well planted 20 gallon.

Are your guppies gasping for air in the mornings and it goes away during the day?

Plants take up carbon dioxide during the day and produce lots of oxygen while photosynthesizing.
At night, however, when there is no light, they actually consume some oxygen.
I notice that they do it more in the evening but I had another one die this morning, it is only the adults from the pet store and not my fry or the ones I have from a breeder. I do notice that a few fry will chill out at the top of the tank on occasion
 

CardShark

Valued Member
Messages
81
Reaction score
32
Points
53
Experience
3 years
Guppyception said:
I notice that they do it more in the evening but I had another one die this morning, it is only the adults from the pet store and not my fry or the ones I have from a breeder. I do notice that a few fry will chill out at the top of the tank on occasion
Well that might be an important clue right there.

If the oxygen level in your tank was very low, I would assume it would affect all of them fairly equally.

Do they have any signs of illness?
 
  • Thread starter

Guppyception

Valued Member
Messages
61
Reaction score
15
Points
18
Experience
1 year
N
CardShark said:
Well that might be an important clue right there.

If the oxygen level in your tank was very low, I would assume it would affect all of them fairly equally.

Do they have any signs of illness?
no illness only a few hanging at the top but I put a circulation pump in with bubbles today and it appears to have done the trick no one at the top and all are moving active and even swim in the current
 

CardShark

Valued Member
Messages
81
Reaction score
32
Points
53
Experience
3 years
Guppyception said:
N

no illness only a few hanging at the top but I put a circulation pump in with bubbles today and it appears to have done the trick no one at the top and all are moving active and even swim in the current
Well, that's good to hear.
 
  • Thread starter

Guppyception

Valued Member
Messages
61
Reaction score
15
Points
18
Experience
1 year
Yo
CardShark said:
Well, that's good to hear.
your input is appreciated and I realized earlier one prior guppies that died they pooped clear and that meant illness so I’ve learned to treat that as well and not blame oxygenation etc I suppose I bought them that way but things like oxygenation that I can help I try my best with
 

CardShark

Valued Member
Messages
81
Reaction score
32
Points
53
Experience
3 years
Guppyception said:
Yo

your input is appreciated and I realized earlier one prior guppies that died they pooped clear and that meant illness so I’ve learned to treat that as well and not blame oxygenation etc I suppose I bought them that way but things like oxygenation that I can help I try my best with
It's like any other animal. When we're sick, we are a lot less tolerant of variations in our environment since we're not feeling 100%.
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom