Guppy and cory catfish Breeding questions

RuralGuppykeeper

I'm in a great situation to learn but not to currently do these beyond a 10 gallon aquarium and a quarantine tank. I have a couple of questions, mostly towards for a fishroom, even though I'm not in a situation to have a fishroom yet.

1 In a fishroom, is it better to move the adult female guppies after they drop fry? I'm guessing that moving the fry (and leaving the females behind) may have fry unintentionally 'left behind', especially if they have hiding places like Java Moss. On the other hand, this might also depend on what size and how many tanks are empty to use, as I suspect I will run out of empty tanks 'in a hurry'.

2 What tank sizes are recommended? What tank sizes is recommended for fry grow-out? Can you (or do you) grow-out fry of multiple fry drops in the same aquarium, or each in a different tank (up until you run out of spare tanks)? What is the recommended stocking density of fry up to half-way grown? I'm assuming that I will have a sponge filter or a HOB with an intake sponge on it. Is there a system (even just initially) for where to move and put the guppies? I won't mind if anyone wants to describe this in great detail, as I don't have a physical fishroom to go to to learn this visually.

3 For serious guppy breeders, do I have to keep a fish pedigree papers (if I'm interested in that) of individual guppies, or is it ok just to have the papers for the guppy population? Do show guppy breeders even keep pedigree papers?

4 If I have a female guppy bred to the 'wrong male' for a selective breeding program, what do I do about it? Is it possible to keep and cull unwanted fry for a year or so, then breed her to the male guppy I want her bred to? Some females may carry homozygous (RR) genes I want, instead of heterozygous (Rr) genes. I'm not sure yet, but I might want to keep 'proven breeders' that are homozygous in specific traits I want, such as a red caudal (tail) fin.
Conversely, would there be a benefit to keeping more heterozygous guppies (such as for tail fin color)?

5 What is the most through, and/or the longest quarantine of incoming guppies? Any special steps? The idea is to avoid introducing new pests or diseases into established guppy aquariums. I'm assuming I will not 'pre-treat' incoming seemingly healthy guppies with any medications or anything, unless they obviously have a problem to treat for.

6 Is it better or easier to have species-only tanks for guppies and cory catfish? Would it be ok to breed both cory catfish and guppies, breed, stored in, or grow-out in the same 'community' aquariums? The latter idea is assuming I buy larger tanks beforehand with this idea in mind.

JustAFishServant

Man, I really hope you get a reply soon - this thread is fascinating!

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I am curious about the papers myself. Not necessarily for guppies, but fish breeding in general! Though does seem like it would be harder to track than say dogs, just because of the nature of fish breeding, especially livebearers.

Would definitely love to see emeraldking 's thoughts/experience with all this.

Upvote 0

GuppyGal7

1. It really depends on your intentions. You can just leave the fry with the adults if you'd like. A separate grow out tank ensures the fry won't get eaten, and allows you to monitor a specific group. If you have a specific pair you've bred, you might want a grow out tank to monitor a specific hybridization experiment for example. As for when to move the female, it depends who you ask and your priorities. Moving the female is stressful, so she may terminate the pregnancy or die from stress (unlikely but possible), removing the fry afterwards puts them at risk of being eaten. It's your choice.
2. I'd say 5-10 gallons is a good grow out tank. Smaller and your fry's growth will be stunted. Keeping multiple drops together is fine. Guppies will not be old enough to eat newborns until they are at least 3 months old, and from my experience they rarely will. Stocking depends on your water changes. With daily water changes you could fit hundreds. The best judge is your nitrates. If they're blow 20 in a week, you can fit more fry.
4. Sell the fry for cheap. They'll likely still be very pretty guppies that many people would happily buy for a few dollars each, or you could sell the young fry for 50c each or something like that. They'll be swooped up in a heartbeat. I'd also rehome the mother, she'll have the "wrong" sperm for up to 6 months. Not worth keeping if you don't want the babies unless you have somewhere else for her to go where she won't dilute the rest of the guppies. Unless she's special that is. Could have a trait you really like, or just have a personality you like and have bonded with and you don't want her to go.
6. Nothing wrong with a community tank. Corys and guppies will breed together no problem. Only issue is you can't cull your guppies very easily, which is fine if you're not going to, and the risk of fry being eaten. My guppies never eat their fry. I grow everything out with the adults no problem. It's up to you and how you want to do things. Some guppies will eat cory eggs. I've even heard some corys eat guppy fry. So it also depends on the specific fish you get. Just have fun.

Upvote 0

RedOnion

I'm in a great situation to learn but not to currently do these beyond a 10 gallon aquarium and a quarantine tank. I have a couple of questions, mostly towards for a fishroom, even though I'm not in a situation to have a fishroom yet.

1 In a fishroom, is it better to move the adult female guppies after they drop fry? I'm guessing that moving the fry (and leaving the females behind) may have fry unintentionally 'left behind', especially if they have hiding places like Java Moss. On the other hand, this might also depend on what size and how many tanks are empty to use, as I suspect I will run out of empty tanks 'in a hurry'.

2 What tank sizes are recommended? What tank sizes is recommended for fry grow-out? Can you (or do you) grow-out fry of multiple fry drops in the same aquarium, or each in a different tank (up until you run out of spare tanks)? What is the recommended stocking density of fry up to half-way grown? I'm assuming that I will have a sponge filter or a HOB with an intake sponge on it. Is there a system (even just initially) for where to move and put the guppies? I won't mind if anyone wants to describe this in great detail, as I don't have a physical fishroom to go to to learn this visually.

3 For serious guppy breeders, do I have to keep a fish pedigree papers (if I'm interested in that) of individual guppies, or is it ok just to have the papers for the guppy population? Do show guppy breeders even keep pedigree papers?

4 If I have a female guppy bred to the 'wrong male' for a selective breeding program, what do I do about it? Is it possible to keep and cull unwanted fry for a year or so, then breed her to the male guppy I want her bred to? Some females may carry homozygous (RR) genes I want, instead of heterozygous (Rr) genes. I'm not sure yet, but I might want to keep 'proven breeders' that are homozygous in specific traits I want, such as a red caudal (tail) fin.
Conversely, would there be a benefit to keeping more heterozygous guppies (such as for tail fin color)?

5 What is the most through, and/or the longest quarantine of incoming guppies? Any special steps? The idea is to avoid introducing new pests or diseases into established guppy aquariums. I'm assuming I will not 'pre-treat' incoming seemingly healthy guppies with any medications or anything, unless they obviously have a problem to treat for.

6 Is it better or easier to have species-only tanks for guppies and cory catfish? Would it be ok to breed both cory catfish and guppies, breed, stored in, or grow-out in the same 'community' aquariums? The latter idea is assuming I buy larger tanks beforehand with this idea in mind.
6. I would assume the guppies would for sure go after the cory eggs. When my cories laid eggs I took them out cause I know any other fish would eat them. Maybe get 2 20g tanks for breeding? And then once fry grow up you can move them into a community.

Upvote 0

RuralGuppykeeper

Thank-you so much everyone! I'm still curious about question #3.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JEGuerra
Replies
Views
JEGuerra
  • Question
Replies
Views
Makinbabies