Guppy Allimentation Problem

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
matija said:
Can big floating plants be natural lid
as long as it covers and prevents the fish from jumping out then i see no reason why not. are you thinking like a large water lettuce or lily or something along those lines?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BobNJerry said:
as long as it covers and prevents the fish from jumping out then i see no reason why not. are you thinking like a large water lettuce or lily or something along those lines?
Plants will not prevent a smaller fish from jumping out. Even a cover of duckweed won't do it.

matija

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think of heavy plants like wayer hyatchin

And this fish started to jump out when first fish give birth now jumped another one from tank

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm just saying unless it is a solid impenetrable wall with no gaps then fish can still jump out. As is evident from your fish that jumped out :/

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BobNJerry said:
water parameters? for a jumping fish?

put a cover or lid and they won't jump out.
They could be jumping to get out of poor water quality. Makes perfect sense to ask those questions.

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It doesn't matter what plants you use, fish will be able to jump out. You need to test your water parameters (Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates.) Without those we can't help you. Most fish will not jump unless there's something stressing them to the point of jumping ship. You need to solve your root problem, first and foremost, as well as potentially finding a fitted lid to prevent any future jumpers. Some fish are prone to jumping but in my experience, guppies are not a species that's known to jump. Do you have the capabilities to test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

Sakana魚

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your looking for a fix to a possible bigger problem. Your fish may be jumping out because the water quality is poor and it doesn't want to die, not knowing there is no other body of water nearby to jump into. Plants will help if it is a water quality issue, duck weed is a great choice, but you really should address if this is the possible cause since your fish will most likely suffer and die if it is and having a lid won't save them.

With that being said you could tape plastic wrap and poke holes in it or buy a lid and poke holes in it.

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sure some fish will jump for no clear reason but 9/10 times something is wrong with their environment and they think jumping out gives them a better chance of survival. A lid is good to stop them from dying but you need to find the root cause. Best way to start is find your basic parameters and build from there.

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
did anyone who is questioning the water parameters read the part where he said they just spawned? will a guppy spawn in water quality so poor it wants to jump out?

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BobNJerry said:
did anyone who is questioning the water parameters read the part where he said they just spawned? will a guppy spawn in water quality so poor it wants to jump out?
A guppy will spawn in the middle of a nuclear war. You can't put a male and female together and not get fry. It's perfectly possible that the water parameters are out of whack, we just need to get a basis to start with. Sure, put a lid on by all means! I'd say OP needs one regardless, but without solving the root cause that will only prevent the fish from turning into little crispy nuggets when they do jump.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
live4wetsleeves said:
A guppy will spawn in the middle of a nuclear war. You can't put a male and female together and not get fry. It's perfectly possible that the water parameters are out of whack, we just need to get a basis to start with. Sure, put a lid on by all means! I'd say OP needs one regardless, but without solving the root cause that will only prevent the fish from turning into little crispy nuggets when they do jump.
Ive had a male with two females in a 10g cycled tank before for a week and they didn't breed.

Nevertheless, usually a male will always breed, And parameters really are the basis for everything. A guppy can still give birth in 1ppm ammonia and hate the parameters.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I cleaned up this thread. Per FishLore rules, members are required to be polite with each other. There is no tolerance at FishLore for ridiculing people's advice.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom