Guppy aggressive behavior/possible illness Help

1. tpasser2 Member Member

I have a 10 gallon low light planted tank with three guppies, a blue paradise, albino cory, and farlowella catfish. Lately, my one guppy has been pretty agressive towards the other two, seemingly bothering them all of the time. He has also had a dark brown/deep red spot on his tail now just past the base of it for a few weeks. I figure it may be a cyst/tumor (he is a tequila sunrise guppy so he is yelow, orange, and red). Anyway, he started acting more aggressive lately and constantly chasing the others and harassing them. He did also start exhibiting some mild flashing behavior. One of the other two guppies would also flash from time to time. I did put a Tetra Parasite Guard tablet in the tank a couple days ago to be safe. The other two guppies treat each other well I might add, it is just with this one that they show aggression. They are all male and I know the male to female ratio rule but I don't want millions of fry in my 10gallon at college. Any suggestions? I switched the tank around a few days ago b/c I removed my gravel and added sand so they should have new "territory". I don't know why they would be flashing though - could it be stress? Water parameters checked out okay. Should I continue to dose tank with the parasite tablets or will that just make the flashing worse if it isn't a parasite? There are no whites spots or anything really visible so it's not Ich.

2. tpasser2 Member Member

Also, would adding another fish hurt or help the problem. I've heard that adding another fish can help re-establish a new pecking order

3. Ritsu Initiate Member

how many male guppies and female?

try a larger fish

4. cameronpalte Member Member

if you don't want millions of fish then remove plants from the bottom and your other fish will eat fry. if you don't have the correct ratio that may lead to aggression.

5. tpasser2 Member Member

Any suggestions for a larger fish that can be the only one of their kind that will work well with what I have? And I have three male guppies right now.

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

If you think the fish are sick it wouldn't be a good idea to add anything to the tank right now.
    Especially since you are overstocked.

I've never kept farlowellas or Paradise Fish but it's my understanding they need a bigger tank and the Paradise fish can be aggressive.
    Could the red mark be an injury?
    Stress can cause flashing and all kinds of other odd behavior.

Male guppies can just be a pain. Some get really nippy with thier own just because or he might be acting that way if he doesn't feel well.

7. tpasser2 Member Member

I think I am going to be giving the mean guppy away. The other two are friendly to each other with only them in the tank. Also, I disagree that it is overstocked. The farlowella is pretty small right now and narrow (prob 3 inches), nothing like a pleco, and the two guppies are both still small (about 1 inch). My paradise is not at all aggressive and hasn't done anything towards my other fish. I'd say the red mark which is a raised bump is probably more of a tumor if I had to guess. It doesn't look like an injury, but rather more like a raised growth that just appeared.