Guppy Acting Weird

brirenae23

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Our little guppy is acting strange. He hangs out at the top of the tank just floating. His fins are moving, breathing. He doesn't go all the way up to the top, but just chills here.

He will come out and eat, he also moves when he sees me or I touch the glass. He does this day or night.

Ph is low 7.6 high 8.0
Ammonia is at .50
Nitrite is 0
Nitrate is 20

Tank is sitting at 74-76.
20180516_084859.jpg
20180516_084452.jpg
20180516_084859.jpg
20180516_084452.jpg
20180516_084859.jpg
20180516_084859.jpg
20180516_084452.jpg

brirenae23

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OneLittleBubble said:
Mine once did this and I found him dead a week later... Is he eating?
Yes, he is coming out to eat the second I lift the lid. Seems to have a good appetite as well :/

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
brirenae23 said:
Yes, he is coming out to eat the second I lift the lid. Seems to have a good appetite as well :/
Is you tank light particularly bright? Is where he seems to chill under a shady spot?

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sometimes my guppies will just do this for a week and then not again for a few months. Don't know why but it's never hurt my girls

Adrian Burke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My guppies have been doing this from time to time since I got them a few days ago. I think it’s just them getting adjusted. Mine finally started Schooling in the mid level today.

brirenae23

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
finnipper59 said:
Is you tank light particularly bright? Is where he seems to chill under a shady spot?
I try not to keep the light on forever, but they are in our living room which is well lit.

Yea he is going behind the filter to float, pretty shady.

Mary765 said:
Sometimes my guppies will just do this for a week and then not again for a few months. Don't know why but it's never hurt my girls
Ok thank you! He started doing this after I did a water change, but all levels were/are fine. I think he's just weird then

Adrian Burke said:
My guppies have been doing this from time to time since I got them a few days ago. I think it’s just them getting adjusted. Mine finally started Schooling in the mid level today.
Ok, that is a good point. They are fairy new, so that would make sense!

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mary765 said:
Mine at night love to sit in the bubbles at night

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Adrian Burke said:
Could just be for shade, my light is quite bright too.
Fish's eyes have all the same parts as our eyes; sclera, lens, cornea, iris, pupil, and retina. When we are in light that is bright, our iris closes making our pupils smaller to restrict the amount of light coming into the pupils. With fish, this doesn't work. Their pupils stay open according to their genetic species. They can only seek shade if the light is too bright for the species.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anyone picking on him? Mine go away and hide for a few days if they have been getting bullied. Once that get over it, they come back out. Guess they're pouting. Also, guppies don't school, they schoal so they may not stay right together.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom