Guppy Acting Weird

1. bettafamily Member Member

We have a 10 gal cycled tank with 3 male guppies. It used to be 4. A few weeks ago I noticed one of them was racing around at meal time with the others but not actually eating. Occasionally it would nip a flake and spit it back out. It did this for about a week and a half before it died. Two days ago I notice the same behavior in another one. What might be going on here? I'd like to prevent another death if I can.

2. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Any visible signs of illness? Loss of color, bloated or skinny?

3. bettafamily Member Member

None at all. It's so bizarre. I've wondered if it's a social pecking order thing.

4. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

If your parameters are good it's probably a case of guppies with issues before you ever brought them home. There are a bunch of threads here every week reporting random guppy deaths not so long after bringing them home. They were bulletproof fish when I entered this hobby decades ago.

5. bettafamily Member Member

I've had them 6-7 weeks. Would that still be possible?

New info: I just did a 50% water change on 7/7 and have always done water changes every Friday. I tested parameters just in case and nitrates are a little higher than what I'd like but not crazy high, looking to be less than 20. Nitrites and Ammonia are 0. The problem I run into testing nitrates is that my comparison chart doesn't show any difference between 10 and 20 on the nitrates strip, so I'm attaching for reference. I really don't have time to change water today, and I'm thinking it should be okay until Friday? I can go ahead and replace the carbon filter today just to get out any gunk that might be stuck in there and causing the nitrates to be higher than normal. I did get him to eat some frozen brine shrimp, so maybe this is just an issue of picky eater?! I'm less worried now that I see him eating.

File Jul 12, 7 59 19 AM.jpeg