Guppy Acting Weird

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by bettafamily, Jul 11, 2017.

1. bettafamily

bettafamilyValued MemberMember

We have a 10 gal cycled tank with 3 male guppies. It used to be 4. A few weeks ago I noticed one of them was racing around at meal time with the others but not actually eating. Occasionally it would nip a flake and spit it back out. It did this for about a week and a half before it died. Two days ago I notice the same behavior in another one. What might be going on here? I'd like to prevent another death if I can.

2. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Any visible signs of illness? Loss of color, bloated or skinny?

3. OP
    OP
    bettafamily

None at all. It's so bizarre. I've wondered if it's a social pecking order thing.

4. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

If your parameters are good it's probably a case of guppies with issues before you ever brought them home. There are a bunch of threads here every week reporting random guppy deaths not so long after bringing them home. They were bulletproof fish when I entered this hobby decades ago.

5. OP
    OP
    bettafamily

I've had them 6-7 weeks. Would that still be possible?

New info: I just did a 50% water change on 7/7 and have always done water changes every Friday. I tested parameters just in case and nitrates are a little higher than what I'd like but not crazy high, looking to be less than 20. Nitrites and Ammonia are 0. The problem I run into testing nitrates is that my comparison chart doesn't show any difference between 10 and 20 on the nitrates strip, so I'm attaching for reference. I really don't have time to change water today, and I'm thinking it should be okay until Friday? I can go ahead and replace the carbon filter today just to get out any gunk that might be stuck in there and causing the nitrates to be higher than normal. I did get him to eat some frozen brine shrimp, so maybe this is just an issue of picky eater?! I'm less worried now that I see him eating.

File Jul 12, 7 59 19 AM.jpeg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice