Important Guppy acting strange

RomanNoodles96

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So after a fairly easy fish in cycle, I am left with 3 neon tetras, a bladder snail from the plants, and a male guppy. This is in a 29 gallon btw. The guppy acted normal for the first week or two but now he starts around the tank real fast and skims the glass darting up and down the glass. He basically acts like hes a crackhead. After he does a bunch he sits at the top of the tank for around 2 mins then goes back to swimming. Sometimes he swims normally then he just bursts into crackhead mode. The 3 neon tetras are peaceful and swim normally. Is this just the guppy being stupid or is there a problem with him?

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
RomanNoodles96 said:
So after a fairly easy fish in cycle, I am left with 3 neon tetras, a bladder snail from the plants, and a male guppy. This is in a 29 gallon btw. The guppy acted normal for the first week or two but now he starts around the tank real fast and skims the glass darting up and down the glass. He basically acts like hes a crackhead. After he does a bunch he sits at the top of the tank for around 2 mins then goes back to swimming. Sometimes he swims normally then he just bursts into crackhead mode. The 3 neon tetras are peaceful and swim normally. Is this just the guppy being stupid or is there a problem with him?
What are your water parameters? This doesn't really sound like normal behavior. It might be that he feels threatened being the only guppy in the tank? Would you be able to bump up your numbers on both the guppies and neons as they are classified as schooling fish, meaning they should be kept in groups of at least five. If you do decide to bump up your numbers, do it slowly as your tank will be newly established.

Good luck, keep us updated on how he's going.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You should increase the neon tetra number to 6 at least but you could do way more in a 29g. and as for the guppy the glass surfing could be a sign of stress. He would probably appreciate a few guppy buddies.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What is the ammonia level? If the water parameters are good, he is stressed for other reasons. Adding some hiding spots could help, or as stated above adding some guppy friends.

OP
R

RomanNoodles96

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SeaMonkey06 said:
What are your water parameters? This doesn't really sound like normal behavior. It might be that he feels threatened being the only guppy in the tank? Would you be able to bump up your numbers on both the guppies and neons as they are classified as schooling fish, meaning they should be kept in groups of at least five. If you do decide to bump up your numbers, do it slowly as your tank will be newly established.

Good luck, keep us updated on how he's going.
Yeah I know my account has the previous things that happened. I had 3 guppies and 7 neon tetras but a dwarf gouramI killed 4 neons so we took him back and that's how we are left with 3 guppies. The 2 females died (guessing stress of the cycle I have recent posts about their deaths but no one could explain how they died) and I was left with a male and 3 neons. I was gonna add more but I waited for the tank to cycle which it did yesterday with 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10ppm nitrate. Tommrow I would like to add 5 neon tetras. I want to add more guppies but don't want a minI cycle to happen. My paramaters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10ppm nitrate. Ph is 7.8 and is 8 out the tap. Gh is around 8-10 kh is 5-7.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
RomanNoodles96 said:
Yeah I know my account has the previous things that happened. I had 3 guppies and 7 neon tetras but a dwarf gouramI killed 4 neons so we took him back and that's how we are left with 3 guppies. The 2 females died (guessing stress of the cycle I have recent posts about their deaths but no one could explain how they died) and I was left with a male and 3 neons. I was gonna add more but I waited for the tank to cycle which it did yesterday with 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10ppm nitrate. Tommrow I would like to add 5 neon tetras. I want to add more guppies but don't want a minI cycle to happen. My paramaters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10ppm nitrate. Ph is 7.8 and is 8 out the tap. Gh is around 8-10 kh is 5-7.
If the guppy is showing stress signs maybe add some plants for hiding spots and add more guppies first. They do have a higher bioload than neon tetras, you can use stress guard and API’s bottled bacteria to help when you add new fish (although some don’t think the bottled bacteria works, it won’t hurt anything, either).

I was told to start feeding a little more every day to increase the bioload of your current fish. Once the new fish are out of QT and in the new tank, don’t feed for a few days to keep the bioload down until the filter catches up.

A lot happened in your tank; guppy is stressed. Keep the lights off for longer periods of time (only on 6-8 hours a day) and add hiding spots while the tank establishes itself and waits for new guppy arrivals. You can even use stress coat now if you want for him.

OP
R

RomanNoodles96

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LivebearerMom said:
If the guppy is showing stress signs maybe add some plants for hiding spots and add more guppies first. They do have a higher bioload than neon tetras, you can use stress guard and API’s bottled bacteria to help when you add new fish (although some don’t think the bottled bacteria works, it won’t hurt anything, either).

I was told to start feeding a little more every day to increase the bioload of your current fish. Once the new fish are out of QT and in the new tank, don’t feed for a few days to keep the bioload down until the filter catches up.

A lot happened in your tank; guppy is stressed. Keep the lights off for longer periods of time (only on 6-8 hours a day) and add hiding spots while the tank establishes itself and waits for new guppy arrivals. You can even use stress coat now if you want for him.
I use prime as it works as a stress guard and I use seachem stability

Lunamoon79

Reaction score
I
RomanNoodles96 said:
im fairly new to the Guppies I have 6 and it seems that mine will go up and down against the glass together like mates in hyper motion. And I’ve also seen mine just hanging at top almost like a quick rest. Overall though all them are constantly moving and play like behavior with each other? I’m glad you asked this question same fish I’m trying to get the info on myself.

OP
R

RomanNoodles96

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lunamoon79 said:
I

im fairly new to the Guppies I have 6 and it seems that mine will go up and down against the glass together like mates in hyper motion. And I’ve also seen mine just hanging at top almost like a quick rest. Overall though all them are constantly moving and play like behavior with each other? I’m glad you asked this question same fish I’m trying to get the info on myself.
Yeah that guppy is still doing good and I even got him 2 female friends. He swims with them and he still acts like he did but hes healthy. He eats a lot and nothing visibly wrong, hes actually the most active out of all the fish.

iLiKDWARFPLATIES

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That happened to me once. All my guppies died. It was because of water hardness. You should probably check it:(

OP
R

RomanNoodles96

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
iLiKDWARFPLATIES said:
That happened to me once. All my guppies died. It was because of water hardness. You should probably check it:(
Nah my gh is 10 and kh is 7 I highly doubt it. I've had the guppy male for about 3 weeks and got 2 females about a week ago and one is already pregnant. They are always active.

New Threads