Guppiessss! Help needed

1. ivanjay2 Member Member

I have 8 guppies and 2 neon tetras in a 10 gallon tank, 2 females and 6 males but recently a smaller male died, his fins were nipped in the back and he was laying there when I got home from work dead. I feel like a male must've killed him bc I have one yellow guppy in particular that chases a female and another male the same as him, at first it wasn't a problem since they both have lived in the same tank, the water condition is just fine, they are also fed very well, one female is also about to have her fry and I'm gonna move her to another tank but if another dies I'm gonna remove the one that's nipping the others, he's slightly wider and bigger than the other guppies , idk if I should blame him , but he seems to be the only one that seems to chase others and nip at each other, I'm thinking of buying another female guppy also. Any thoughts on how to fix the fin nipping?

Also I didn't mean to have 5 males as of now and 2 pregnant females, its just I bought them and by the time I was in the car I realized they weren't all females

I planned on having 4 females and 4 males

I plan on buying a 30 gallon tank at the end of this month also. Just for guppies. Bc I looked online and my tank will be over stocked with a lot of baby fry from 2 pregnant guppies

2. Wildside Member Member

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

I've kept guppies for several years now and I've never had an issue with fin nipping. You may want to look for other potential culprits in the form of your 2 neon tetras. Neon tetras can be a bit 'nippy', they're also a fish that really needs to be kept in groups of 6-8+ to keep them feeling secure and I've heard it also helps with them nipping at other fish.

It's also possible that your fish simply died and the others picked at his corpse, I know I had that happen to mine a fair bit.

You really want more females than males with guppies, otherwise the males will harass the females leaving them severely stressed out. You want about two females for every male.

As far as guppies and fry go, I wouldn't worry about it. If there's not much shelter these guys are some of the worst parents out there and will likely eat all their little babies pretty quickly.

3. ivanjay2 Member Member

Thank you for the advice, I will take it into consideration. I also noticed the two neon tetras keep to them selves and follow each other everywhere, they are both female and don't show aggressiveness, my fish don't swim that much at night but the two yellow guppies were up and separated from each other, the rest of the fish were not swimming. One guppy I have that is orange and black is laying down inside a house but that has never happened before, idk if it means he's afraid for his life or it is a coincidence. I have another guppy that is a male and smaller but he is very pretty and his fins seemed to be nipped and he usually shys away from the other guppies.

4. Wildside Member Member

Neon tetras would do that. They are a schooling fish. This means they need to be in pretty large groups to be comfortable. They also look prettier in my opinion.

Depending on what sort of guppies you have, their fins appearing 'nipped' or torn can be normal. So long as you don't notice any actual fin rot or that it's obviously being chomped, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine also seek shelter at night, I have some flower pots that they like to hide in. I think they just want to escape the filter flow whilst they sleep.

I keep neons, guppies, dwarf cichlids and loaches together and have never had such an issue, although if one of my fishes does die (for whatever reason) the others will eat the body in a matter of hours if I don't notice, usually starting with the fins.

5. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

I feel like your tank is overstocked.. though ive never kept guppies, I know that neons should be in a minimum of a 20g long tank, and in a group of at least 6 as stated by a previous poster.

What are your parameters and what are you testing with?