guppies.....

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
3 of my girly guppies have the dark gravid spot, and today look suddenly really really round with a dent of roundness around them where their belly protrudes. how much longer til they pop out the babies? i've only had them a couple of days so have no idea when they were impregnated and therefore how far into the 28 day gestation. also will they abort at this point of gestation as my tank is having an ammonia/nitrite crisis? will this cause them to abort or die soon after birth or are fry tougher than they look, and so long as the adults are ok the fry will be too? any help gratefully received. thanks. tan

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Re: guppies.....she's gonna pop......but when?

here's some pictures of them today. my camera takes rubbish tank pictures.....sorry about that! :

any ideas as to when she'll pop? surely it cant be much longer? might seem a daft question, but do the babies ever get stuck in there? (happens with humans after all!)

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well as big as she looks, she will probably get bigger before she finally spits out the fry. It all depends on the number of fry in there, though. I have a guppy who was about twice as round as yours was, but in the period of a couple hours, she had given birth to about 60 fry, so she was really big. I don't think they get stuck up there. If they do, then they will eventually pop out because she will no longer be able to supply them with the nutrition they need, and will probably eventually "force" them out. Good luck with her!

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OMG! they might get bigger!! well still no fry (they'll prob get gobbled up by their so called tank mate friends anyway!) but more reliably they're still fit to burst! there must be alot in there! i'm surprised yours could swim she must've been like a barrel!! the other preg ones are catching up in size! i'll have enough fry to populate every tank in the uk at this rate!! they're still happy enough though! eating and scavenging as usual!!

Tavin 02

Reaction score
My guppies always stop eating just before they give birth, and you'll also notice that they'll
start looking square appossed to round. But thats only in my expierience,Some guppies are different,but a good rule of thumb
Good Luck...

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thanks tavin 02, they are still fit to burst!!!! this must be the longest pregnancy ever!! they have been moved from tank to tank a bit (moved from 15 gal to 45 gal. 45 gal leaked, so back to the 15 gal then into the 28 gal. no more moves now i hope!), so dont know if thats affected things?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yep she will get bigger and get a square look to her. I have one that gets so big that if she were a human she would waddle
Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thanks carol! these would def waddle! they look so uncomfortable. . . i remember it well when i was preg!! at least the longer they take, the more the plants will have grown for the fry to hide in! it'll be a jungle in there by the time they pop!
Tan

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The fry will love the jungle
Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thats true!! i wont get to see them though!! increase survival rate though which is more important!

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
Being moved probably stressed her out. She may not give birth because of this so try and not scare her any more.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
leafgirl115 said:
Being moved probably stressed her out. She may not give birth because of this so try and not scare her any more.
I feel really guilty! i didnt want to move her, but her tank was leaking, so i had to. she's staying put now though....she's got a new tank which doesnt leak! so hopefully all is well?

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
All shoudl be well Dont wory about it you had to move her nothing elce you could have done. I hope she gived birth soon.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
She'll be fine. I have one that always carries for 6 weeks instead of the standard 28 days and gets just huge. but her babies are healthy and so is she. Hang in there
Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
well she's still preg!!! she's not getting any fatter now though. this past week or so she's stayed much the same size - huge!! (thats both heavily preg black girls. they look identical, i cant tell them apart!!) the other preg ones (orange ones) which were only just preg when i got them (gravid spot, but not round) are catching the black ones up in size! maybe they'll give birth at similar time after all. the one which is colourless is just showing the gravid spot, not round at all. i dont think she was preg when i got her...couldnt see a gravid spot etc....think one of my males sorted that out pretty quickly though!

also, a quick question. are the fry completely random coloured, or will they take after one of their parents? or a mismatch of both parents? as 4 of my guppies were preg on arrival, i have no idea what the father looks like, so the fry will be a surprise, but the one that may have been impregnated by one of my boys narrows it down somewhat to 3 varieties + the mother if they do take after the parents! am i making sense?!i know breeders can breed a particular colour or trait, but does this take many generations of specific breeding /inbreeding to get the trait/colour to become reliable with out "throwbacks", or do they take after their parents everytime? hope you understand my question! i'm rambling again!
Tan

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They will most likely be a mixture of colors.
Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
oooooh, how exciting! ;D

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tan this isn't a good pic at all but maybe you can see how big she is
Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
its not just me that takes fuzzy pics then!!!!!!!!

blimey, she is huge. bigger than mine. i'll stop worrying!!

here's a pic of one of my preg girly guppies i've just taken. she posed perfectly, the danios however kept getting in the way!!! took a few attempts!- typical, they dont want to miss a thing!!!!

i've got buyers for them if they're survive. how many tend to survive in a open tank? none/a few/alot? no breeder boxes etc? there's plants and a log etc to hide in. not keen on the breeder box idea as i've no idea when she'll pop! if i'd've used one, she could've been in there a fortnight already! how easy are fry to see and catch to put in one? decisions, decisions!!!

confused tan!!!!!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I find the females are less stressed if left in the tank and since I have lots of plants a good many survive,
Yep I had the fuzzies when I took that pic
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom