Guppies....

1. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Ok So I have been thinking about doing a guppy tank, I have seen some really great varieties and enjoy the colors.

Im torn as to which of the tanks I have I should use for them. I currently have a 29gal and a 20 long that are empty and awaiting stocking plans.

Both tanks are planned to be fully planted tanks and over filtered from the start. After that I just dont know which one to use. I do plan on having only one species of guppy in the tank to keep from really getting things mixed up, maybe later I would try my hand at a true breeding project but for now its more of an enjoyment. That being said, I am planning on holding a 10gal tank as a potential fry tank.

So which tank would you go with, and how many would you stock in that tank.

2. fighter55 Member Member

IMO guppies would be fine in either, it really depends on how many you want. Your gonna get a lot of fry either way.

3. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I think a 20 long would be better. Taller tanks can make it harder for fry to find food. How much breeding are you looking to do?

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I have my guppies, Betta, and platies in a 20 long and really enjoy the look. I really think this is a decision that you need to make.

5. fbn Well Known Member Member

Both tanks will work. I would probably do the 20 Gal.

Overfiltering: make sure you don't have strong currents. If you get guppies with long fins, they will be like bettas and get blown around.

Have fun choosing guppies! It is as hard as bettas.

6. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

We currently have a small scale breeding project going on in our 30 gal. I lost all my beautiful males to a bout of coulmaris last summer, none of the stores around me have had anything but sold color males since then (I perfer the multicolored, patterned tails) a few weeks ago I spotted some fancy tailed females at Petsmart, they have tails almost as bright as a males. I got 4 females and we are raiseing the fry that survive ( lots of java moss and other plants in the 30gal, no nursery tank) to see what males we can get. We do have a solid red male to breed with them incase I don't get anything I like.

We have about 30 fry right now, and the females are about to drop again, so we will be setting one of our 20gals up soon to deal with raiseing some. When we get the 125gal set up, and get all the stock redistubuted in the tanks, the 55gal is going to be a guppy tank.

If you want to experiance some fry but don't want to be over run, I would recomend buying only 1 female that looks pregnant. Raise a batch of fry in the nursery tank, and let the rest fend for themselves. Then of the fry that get raised, keep the ones you like best.

7. ray_sj Member Member

I've had guppies in a 20 high and a 20 long. I didn't like them in the 20 long. Since the 20 long is not very tall, I'd often have to sit or stoop down to see them. The taller tanks allowed me to see them easier, since guppies spend a lot of time at the top third of the tank.

I never kept more than 10 adult guppies in the 20 gal tank. With some strains, I've had the males suffer fin rot if I didn't keep the water quality pristine.

8. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Ok so looks like it might be the 20 long, thou I was tempted earlier today to tear down one of my 20 highs and move the fish to another larger tank..... oh the choices

What I was looking at was some purple moscow guppies, was looking at around 2-3 males and 4-6 females (the seller is selling trios only 1 male and 2 females).

What would be a good tank make for them for some bottom clean up?

As far as over filtered, Ill keep the flow in mind with them, but the over filtered part was more referring to the main tank not what would be a fry tank if I wanted to really try to keep them. I may let them fend for themselves and see what nature does in the tank as well.

Also what else could I put in the tank that wouldn't destroy a young guppy?

9. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Red Cherry Shrimp are good to keep with them. Leave yourself plenty of room for offspring.

10. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

Pygmy cories perhaps? They're really cute and you can easily fit 6 into a 20 gallon long. Snails and shrimp will be fine too. There's many fish that can be housed with guppies, depends on what you like, if you don't want the fry getting eaten, it's best to have a separate tank for them because the parents will eat them too.

11. fighter55 Member Member

You could try panda cories too. Your best bet would probably be a smaller species of shrimp, because basically any fish will eat fry if it can fit in their mouths.

12. fbn Well Known Member Member

I have Hawaiian Cobalt Blue Moscows and quite a bit of fry make it to adult hood. I have a few floating plants.

Where are you planning on buying your Purple Moscows?

As for a clean up crew, most fish will work. Have you ever had Aspidoras Albaters? They are a neat little catfish that is related to corys. I have some and I love them. Unfortunately, I don't have any offspring to offer you, though. :(

13. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I keep neon tetras , cories ( although for your tank I would only do them in the 20L), and red cherry shrimp and as I said even with out moving any to a nursery tank, I have a lot of fry surviving.

14. fighter55 Member Member

If you put in some Danios and floating plants or a DG maybe the fry will be under control.

15. fbn Well Known Member Member

You can also use snails as a clean up crew. Mystery snails would be a great option.

16. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

Gouramis aren't too good for fy control, often the fry are too fast or they aren't really interested.

17. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

When I can find a good place for it, I think it will end up being the 20 long. Now I just need to find room for it lol

18. fighter55 Member Member

I see what you mean, but some gourami I've seen can go really fast if they want to. I guess it just depends if they're in the mood or not :)